Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1983 32 Express

Hybrid View

1983 32 Express

Hello

Im looking a 1983 32 express. Ive read some archives about some things to look for, like soft spots on the deck and hull sides possibly. Bottom is not cored from what Ive found. Engines are the 454 with high hours. The hours are weird, one has 2500 and other shows 1800. I believe the boat was a charter boat for years. Possibly trolling with one motor?. Price is $15,000 which seems low to me.
    Any other thoughts or concerns would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Re: 1983 32 Express

If the fuel tanks are fiberglass its a no go. Fiberglass is not compatible with ethanol fuel which could be driving the low price.

Re: 1983 32 Express

Check what year Hatteras changed the resin formula on the tanks. I have an 1987 w/fiberglass tanks and is fine. They changed a few years before this but not sure of the year.
    BobWaz
    1987 40 DC #322
    Knot Again!
    Champlain, NY

1983 was possibly the time Hatteras upgraded the resin for the fuel tanks. I would get the serial number
    and contact Hatteras to check it out. If the tanks are OK, then it sounds like a deal but there are other
    things to consider as well. A bad generator will cost a good bit as will a paint job etc. Write everything
    down and get some realistic prices to take care of all issues, then you can make an educated offer.

Walt

My first thought is that it a very heavy boat for 454's. If they are high hour engines and being that their charter boat engines that have been run hard all their lives, an expensive complete repower is in order. I would definitely consider repowering with diesels. Next, before doing anything, invest in a good surveyor who will check the hull for moisture. This will cost you dearly later if it's wet.
    If you're considering it, how about the 32 Express on Boattrader.com? It sank several years ago in a hurricane (no hull damage) so it needs a repower but it's only $5,000 and had (has) diesels. You would have to replace every wire and electrical device and soft interior items but the boat will be like new when you're done. Though I've never seen one in person, these are cool boats and worthy of a rebuild project!
    This is the one for $5,000
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...All%20Webpages
    Last edited by CTdave; 06-15-2019 at 09:48 AM.

1983 was right around the time they changed the resin used to build the tanks, as noted above. If anyone can tell you about that, the factory can. don't know if Sam's can help- Steve might know. I am not aware of any tank markings that would help you.