Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1983 32 Express

1983 32 Express

Hello

Im looking a 1983 32 express. Ive read some archives about some things to look for, like soft spots on the deck and hull sides possibly. Bottom is not cored from what Ive found. Engines are the 454 with high hours. The hours are weird, one has 2500 and other shows 1800. I believe the boat was a charter boat for years. Possibly trolling with one motor?. Price is $15,000 which seems low to me.
    Any other thoughts or concerns would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Re: 1983 32 Express

If the fuel tanks are fiberglass its a no go. Fiberglass is not compatible with ethanol fuel which could be driving the low price.

Re: 1983 32 Express

Check what year Hatteras changed the resin formula on the tanks. I have an 1987 w/fiberglass tanks and is fine. They changed a few years before this but not sure of the year.
    BobWaz
    1987 40 DC #322
    Knot Again!
    Champlain, NY

1983 was possibly the time Hatteras upgraded the resin for the fuel tanks. I would get the serial number
    and contact Hatteras to check it out. If the tanks are OK, then it sounds like a deal but there are other
    things to consider as well. A bad generator will cost a good bit as will a paint job etc. Write everything
    down and get some realistic prices to take care of all issues, then you can make an educated offer.

Walt

My first thought is that it a very heavy boat for 454's. If they are high hour engines and being that their charter boat engines that have been run hard all their lives, an expensive complete repower is in order. I would definitely consider repowering with diesels. Next, before doing anything, invest in a good surveyor who will check the hull for moisture. This will cost you dearly later if it's wet.
    If you're considering it, how about the 32 Express on Boattrader.com? It sank several years ago in a hurricane (no hull damage) so it needs a repower but it's only $5,000 and had (has) diesels. You would have to replace every wire and electrical device and soft interior items but the boat will be like new when you're done. Though I've never seen one in person, these are cool boats and worthy of a rebuild project!
    This is the one for $5,000
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...All%20Webpages
    Last edited by CTdave; 06-15-2019 at 09:48 AM.

1983 was right around the time they changed the resin used to build the tanks, as noted above. If anyone can tell you about that, the factory can. don't know if Sam's can help- Steve might know. I am not aware of any tank markings that would help you.

I want to thank everyone for tips and thoughts on this boat. I looked at the boat thursday and brought a friend with me for an extra set of eyes. The boat is very clean for its age. No stress cracks where you normally would see on other boats and paint was in good shape. I brought my brass hammer and moisture meter. Everything sounded good except a soft spot in transom and areas on back deck by inspection plates. We arrived before the owner so motors were not warmed up before our arrival. Motors started right off with no smoke from exhaust. No ticking from heads either. We did not do a sea trial so engine smoke or ticking could show up when under power. Unfortunately it has the fiberglass fuel tank, which does not have the updated resin according to the phone conversation I had with Hatteras on Friday. And to correct from original post, its a 1984.
    Long story short I'm in decision mode. I ve read alot about new tanks, bladders etc etc. Im capable of doing most of the work.
    My question is how has this tank lasted so long? Is the ethanol scare not as big as first thought?

Still deciding
    Eric
    Last edited by Meister; 06-15-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Well if it's an 84 and it was not built with the new ethanol resistant resin you may be facing the prospect
    of installing a new fuel tank. Depending on the access of the tank on that boat, it may not be as big of
    a job as many think. A friend at our yacht club decided to retire from boat ownership and he had a 1969
    38' DC to get rid of. It was a gas boat as well, but the engines have not been run since NJ started with
    ethanol somewhere around 15 years or so ago. The tanks were almost full with pre-ethanol fuel all those
    years that he used it as a dock queen. He decided that he would just give the boat for free to a worthy
    recipient, which I found for him in Staten Island, NY. The boat was towed to SI and lifted out of the water.
    While it was up on land the fuel was drained from the tanks into 50 gal drums on skids on the ground.
    Once emptied, they were cleaned several times to get rid of any residual gas and fumes. He cut off the
    top of the fiberglass tanks and took a sawzall to the tanks. He ordered a couple of new alum tanks to
    fit the spaces under the twin bunks in the aft master stateroom. They fit perfectly and he is now in the
    process of running all new fuel lines etc. The cost of the new tanks was hard to believe...very low price
    of substantially less than 2 thousand dollars each. Since he's doing all the labor himself, I would say he
    got a real deal. If you're interested in looking into new tanks, I can get the info from him as to cost
    etc.

If as you described, the 32 has good paint and is in otherwise decent condition, then I would say that
    $15 grand is a good deal...... if you're up to changing out the old tank yourself. You may get a good
    price from a local yard to provide the labor as well.

Walt

No fiberglass tank is ethanol compatible, I have two friends with 1990's 31 bertrams that were told there tanks were good 15 years ago, and they both replaced the "resistant resin" tanks this year
    The question to ask "Is the resin compatible with ethanol", Every resin manufacturer that I knew of ten years ago told me NO.

Resistant is not compatible

My first boat, a Penn Yan had a corroded metal fuel tanks and that was sobering. For my second boat, I bought Hatteras to get a fiberglass tank that would never leak, That was when the tree huggers mandated MTBE, and then we found out that MTBE was polluted ground water, so they switched to ethanol which is a solvent for fiberglass. Unintended consequences by ignorant people.

Uncle Sam has pushed me back to worrying about corrosion my current tank is aluminum.
    Bill

At that price I would think a tank is a no-brainer. Other option is diesel, which would awaken the beast in that boat. You would not have to worry about ethanol then either unless the tank is already delaminated.