Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

“How to” Exhaust Hose R & R. Does anyone know how to?

1975 Hatt 58 ft YFI have to change this hose on the exhaust located in the master bedroom closet, port side. I cut it off and found the two fiberglass pipes are butt up to each other, obviously one needs to be moved so I can install a new hose. Can anyone tell me if I should be looking in the second bedroom, engine room or under the master bed.
    Attached Images
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits

Re: “How to” Exhaust Hose R & R. Does anyone know how to?

The clamps in the middle are there because the hose got a blister and leaked. That was a temp fix.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396

Adventure Awaits

you can do this one of two ways. either find the next section of rubber hose and cut it off,move the glass tube to the side to allow you to slide a piece of new hose on each end(all the way on) then get the glass tube back in placeand slide the hose on to the other piece of tube.
    or you can cut some of the tube away and slide a long enough section of hose onto one piece of the glass tube then get it lined up and slide it back onto the other piece of tube.

either way you choose i highly recommend the use of trident blue silicon exhaust hose for ease of use. it is more expensive but worth it.
    i also recommend the use of stainless steel crush sleeves inside of each hose to fiberglass tube connections.

i also marked each section of the tube so i knew how far the hose was on the glass tube.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

forgot to mention to use dish washing soap on the hose and tube to make it easier to slide on
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Bigbill, Thank you.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396

Adventure Awaits

I would lean towards above mentioned repair #2 cut away a few inches of glass tube and squeeze the new tube through/over. Realign and clamp well. Also agree on Dish Soap. Do not use anything petroleum based (like Vaseline). It is fun to go to Drug store and get 3-5 tubes KY jelly for reaction sake, but dish soap is cheap and helps with clean up.

I find in these old girls, moving fewer things around is some times most prudent.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

number 2 is the way i did mine...dish soap doesn't degrade the hose like some petroleum products might. once again, the blue silicon hose is worth the extra money
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Okay so. I did not cut the fiberglass tube. All pieces of tube are too close together and you can’t move them aside. So..... I did some maneuvering of some things and figured it out. I will post a video here as soon as I can put it together. I don’t like to start cutting things and end up messing something up worse. Give me some time and you’ll see what I did. I think this will be a good HOW TO.
    Attached Images
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396

Adventure Awaits

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERPLAN MIAMI View Post
    Okay so. I did not cut the fiberglass tube. All pieces of tube are too close together and you can’t move them aside. So..... I did some maneuvering of some things and figured it out. I will post a video here as soon as I can put it together. I don’t like to start cutting things and end up messing something up worse. Give me some time and you’ll see what I did. I think this will be a good HOW TO.
    Look forward to seeing your videos.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California