Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

My Use of Awlwood MA to Restore Rails

I have spent the past 2+ months refinishing some truly wrecked rails on my 1975 Hatteras. My kids talked me into making a how to video for you tube, so I thought some might like to see it. Videoing, editing, and acting are not my forte' but I believe you will get the gist of it.

Also this is not a process I recommend more than once in the life of the rails I have a 5 gallon bucket of teak dust (pure) that I may mix with epoxy to mold a tender out of .

Enjoy at your own risk, there are no refunds on the 12.5 mins you will donate to this process. If you learn something, great. If it inspires you, even better. My intention is to pay close attention to the coating for any distress. Also the plan is an aggressive sand each year, and a re-coat or two.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tU67Ka-VFw

I will report back any failures.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Re: My Use of Awlwood MA to Restore Rails

Great video Randy. What a transformation. How many coats are you going to put on? Question, I always roll with a foam roller cover but tip with a foam brush because the roller leaves bubbles. Is this not the case for Alwood?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Great video Randy. What a transformation. How many coats are you going to put on? Question, I always roll with a foam roller cover but tip with a foam brush because the roller leaves bubbles. Is this not the case for Alwood?
    very little. Last coat, #6, I put a splash of brushing thinner in it, and smooth as glass.

This photo is 3 weeks after last coat on Starboard rail. We'll see what happens after a summer in Houston Texas Sun.

Rail.jpg
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Send the same shot at the end of summer so we can see if it dulls in one season. Hope not.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Send the same shot at the end of summer so we can see if it dulls in one season. Hope not.
    Good plan.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

I was also thinking about waxing. Does anyone know if using a wax on varnish might help or hurt it? I'll ask Awl Grip.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

I used the same product on my boat's teak, the little that I have left- rear door frame, window surround, screen surround. These are all smaller diameter than the rails on the 53MY, so I used brushes. So far it's holding up admirably, but I am not in the hot TX sun, either.

Randy, I noticed you didn't use drop cloths. You are braver than I am. I used canvas drop cloths when I was doing this. I also used their tinted primer, not the clear, although if I were doing it again, I would use the clear- the tinted primer was a bit too red and too dark. They also make a yellow primer, but I didn't try that one.

Overall, I think Awlwood works well. It isn't cheap, but it seems durable and has a really nice gloss finish to it.

Jim,

I tend to trip over drop cloths and make bigger messes. I keep a rag with acetone near by. Also, decks and all else will be repainted in the next few years, so I am not so anal about it ...yet. When A bird lands on my varnish, I will wipe up after he flies away. I am not sure how I will react to the first poop
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

That turned out nice!

I used AwlGrip on my decks. A friend who used to own a 53MY had his done with Interlux Brightside, or their deck paint, I forgot which. Didn't even get a season out of it.... The extra effort on AG is worth it..