Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hatteras 58 LRC " Emerald Lady"

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to move up from my 44 TC to a 58 LRC to live aboard and cruise. I like the LRC due to the lower fuel consumption and longer range which is why I believe the LRC is a better choice for me over the motoryachts. I have been looking at Emerald Lady which is for sale, however I have not been able to see a 58 LRC in person. I did look at a 48 LRC in Charleston, SC a few weeks ago but find that the 48 would be a too small for my family with only 2 Staterooms. Can anyone give me any ideas as to why Emerald Lady has been for sale for a such a long time?
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

Re: Hatteras 58 LRC " Emerald Lady"

I'm guessing it may have to do with each engine having 7000 hours on them. Pretty yacht but I'd want a full survey and a great Detroit Diesel mechanic to have a look at her before I'd purchase. Nice price too.....makes me wonder what demons she has that the broker hasn't listed.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    I'm guessing it may have to do with each engine having 7000 hours on them. Pretty yacht but I'd want a full survey and a great Detroit Diesel mechanic to have a look at her before I'd purchase. Nice price too.....makes me wonder what demons she has that the broker hasn't listed.
    7k hours is nothing on them if they were cared for. Those are 20k hour engines if serviced.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The boat is located down the canal from me. The boat is very tired. These boats have become a white elephant. I love a Hatteras but there comes a point where the cost to brin g a boat like that back the way it should be just doesn't make $$$$ since. The green paint has been touched up and it shows plus the wallpaper is a no no in my opinion. Not to mention the high hours on the engines. The 58 with the lower hp and small props don't handle very well in tigh quarters .To be in true Hatteras glory you could spend over 250,000.00. Easy. If you have the patience and the money go for it.

I totally agree with you on the wallpaper. I would fight to restore the original finish in my opinion it would be worth it. I have 6200 hrs on my 8v71's in my 44 TC and they run amazing. Shouldn't these engines be good up to at least 10 - 12,000 hrs at that low hp? I'm not familiar with the differences between the 71 v series detroits vs. the inline 71's. I'm not worried about the paint unless its extremely bad. I wish there was someone near me here in SC that has a 58 LRC that I could see so I don't have to go all the way down to Ft. Lauderdale just to see it. There is another one in Ft. Lauderdale named "Masterplan" but it is listed for 100k more. I do have a close relationship with a couple detroit mechanics and I would definitely be doing surveys.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by BFDfirefighter16 View Post
    Shouldn't these engines be good up to at least 10 - 12,000 hrs at that low hp?
    Or more.... IF, and that's a big IF they've been maintained to the highest standard, and properly operated.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Hard to imagine the engines would have gotten to 7000 hours if they were NOT maintained.

7000 hours is not a lot for 671 naturals.... IF you had to do an inframe rebuild... that would be in the neighborhood of $16K for both.... assuming you would not need new heads... do a 671 rebuild in a 58 LRC would be a piece of cake with all the avaialble room....

I too looked at Emerald Lady online and contacted the owner and got additional pics.... all things considered.. I passed on it... wanted more of a LRC that was more ready to cruise out of the box...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by BFDfirefighter16 View Post
    I totally agree with you on the wallpaper. I would fight to restore the original finish in my opinion it would be worth it. I have 6200 hrs on my 8v71's in my 44 TC and they run amazing. Shouldn't these engines be good up to at least 10 - 12,000 hrs at that low hp? I'm not familiar with the differences between the 71 v series detroits vs. the inline 71's. I'm not worried about the paint unless its extremely bad. I wish there was someone near me here in SC that has a 58 LRC that I could see so I don't have to go all the way down to Ft. Lauderdale just to see it. There is another one in Ft. Lauderdale named "Masterplan" but it is listed for 100k more. I do have a close relationship with a couple detroit mechanics and I would definitely be doing surveys.
    "Masterplan" is certainly challenged cosmetically. Otherwise, she has had excellent stewardship until recently. She would be the one I would pursue. Send me a PM if you want my impressions.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

White elephants? I don't think so. They all have some years on them, but some of them have been very well maintained and are excellent cruising yachts. (like the one I was on two days ago) Even one which has needs, if you get it at the right price, can be a good deal.