Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: New Generator (s)

Alternator and victron inverter. and batteries

Not a bad thing.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Boat was set up with all that stuff when I bought it by an EE genius, all I did was use and maintain it, so not sure what it cost......Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I am surprised that gen + inverter/bank isn't a better solution than gen + gen. I guess you anchor out a lot? Most of our trips are dock to dock to dock... and an inverter bank would seem to handle that, as we generally don't use AC while the boat is moving, as the wind cools things down enough. We would need to power up the gen for meal times or when we are cruising overnight, or when we do anchor out. We do anchor out at times, but I never get good sleep then because I worry about dragging the anchor.
    We don't really anchor out that much, but when we do, the Admirals main complaint is the generator noise. The guest stateroom border the genny room, so a nighttime generator has become a must. If an inverter/battery would power 3 or 4 ac's overnight, I'd definitely go that route! The other issue is redundancy. We recently had to cut short a day on the lake, with a boat full of people, due to a faulty sensor on the Ohno... so a second genny made sense to me.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 06-11-2019 at 11:44 AM.

I never ran a/c 's on the inverter , just doesn't make sense when you look at the load , and time to recharge at least with lead /acid batteries. I never hear my gen's at least where I sleep . I don't know how you'd get totally rid of gen noise in that port aft SR anyway. I let my in-laws sleep there when they come.....Pat
    Last edited by doc g; 06-11-2019 at 12:20 PM.

And so it begins.. One of the reasons I got the Kohler 16EKOZD, is it has a Decision Maker 3500 controller. It has the ability to sense the load, and kick on the second generator automatically.. great idea... but it doesn't work with a 9kw, a 14k is the smallest it will work with.. so, do I stick with a 9kw and forego this feature, use a 14kw for the nighttime unit, or go with a different brand altogether for the nighttime unit..
    Attached Images

Could be wrong but doubt there's much noise difference between a 14kw and a 9kw.
    If it was me I would want 2 of the same so I could use parts from the other in a jam.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I vote for a 14kw same brand just in case you need to rob parts while at sea way way in the future.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    I vote for a 14kw same brand just in case you need to rob parts while at sea way way in the future.
    Don't know what I'm going to do. Also learned that the automatic switching capability requires some expensive add ones. The literature makes it look like the generators wire to a common BUS, then a single wire between generators establish the communication link. Apparently it's a little more complicated. And got some good advice given that the electric panel is already wired and break'rd for a second unit, probably best to forgo the autoswitch capability.. but check out the Decision Maker 3500, it's neat technology.

Paul, I have this same dilemma. The #1 Kohler is dead and needs to be removed. The #2 is a very good Phasor 20.

The old Kohler space could be taken up by a big bank Lithium 48 volt battery system which theoretically has a 10 year life and could silently power one aircon at night. The lithium could also power a possible 48 volt Vetus bow thruster too, so win win. The new Kohler genset could be used to supply a 48 volt Victron/Mastervolt inverter charger. I understand charging lithium batteries is swift.

Why not consider a 48 volt lithium battery bank instead of the second genset? I'd also love to know how to do this correctly. It seems yours (and mine) is a perfect opportunity to use new technology. Am I right or am I wrong? Or do we wait another few years for the technology to improve?
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

The 12.5kw was $14,400 and the bigger one was $18,100