Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New Generator (s)

After much deliberation, I've decided to retire my 20kw Onan MDL4. This is a forced retirement as the unit still works just fine. It has had a small oil leak since I bought the boat. Not much, just a few drops a day, maybe a cup a month. I decided to finally figure out where it was coming from and it turned out to be the fitting on the oil pan drain plug for the oil exchanger... looks like an easy fix.. BUT.. the PO or his hire has slathered the fitting with some kind of silicone goop... and based on other "repairs" I've seen on the boat... I gots me a real bad feeling.. and I'm not going to worry about it... so it's outta here.. going back with 2 generators... a 16EKOZD Kohler, and 9EKOZD Kohler for a quieter nighttime unit. I'll post pictures as we progress, and once the old unit is on the dock, it'll be available with spares.

Re: New Generator (s)

How many hours Did you get out of the old genny?

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    How many hours Did you get out of the old genny?
    Hard to say.. it's about 1200 since rebuild, but I don't know what it had on it at rebuild time. It still runs just fine, makes good power, no smoke or oil consumption.. other than the leak.. but even in the sound shield, it's loud.. I'll look at the Hobbs in the morning.

Wise choice on the big and small sets. Interested to see how it all goes and how you like the results. Didn't Bruce used to sell Kohler gensets? I think so. Post photos if you can.

I'm also 'retiring' my ONAN. After doing the load calculations, I'm looking at fitting soft-start to the aircon compressors and then one of three options -

1) One gen 50% smaller than the 20kw original or,

2) a 5kw gen for most 'AC stuff' most of the time and a 7kw gen mainly for the aircon with some backup for 'AC stuff' or,

3) a 5kw battery/inverter combo and 7kw gen for just the aircon.

I prefer the simplicity of 1, the flexibility of 2, the technology of 3. Will probably go like you with the 2 gen option and leverage the soft-start to keep the size/cost down

Quote Originally Posted by Skytinerant View Post
    I'm also 'retiring' my ONAN. After doing the load calculations, I'm looking at fitting soft-start to the aircon compressors and then one of three options -

.......Will probably go like you with the 2 gen option and leverage the soft-start to keep the size/cost down
    The softstar is the REAL DEAL. See my thread here (especially post #8) https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...-to-run-my-A-C

I would get the smallest possible generator. And use soft starts. Also, you can get a small generator and get a "hybrid" inverter that will boost the generator when higher loads come on (starting AC, old lady runs hair dryer, etc). I'd seriously consider the hybrid inverter and just 1 small/quiet generator, especially if you don't mind a tiny bit of load management (don't use range, hot water heater, and all A/C at once).

EDIT: Also read post #35 where the Harbor Freight out performs the Honda: https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...907#post321907
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Just ordered two new generators for my new to me Hatt 61 cockpit motor yacht. From my days in the new construction of bigger yachts I came across a company called MER equipment in Seattle that builds the best generators you can get. They are mostly used for commercial purposes and are rated as continuous duty. They are over built and run for 30,000 - 50,000 hours between overhauls with almost no failure rate. I priced mine and ended up with a 12.5 KW and a 22 KW and they were cheaper than two similar Northern Lights units. I would never buy another Onan, Westerbeke, Northern Lights or similar built to fail generator unit again. If you want something that you can run and forget it, without all the breakdowns and crazy parts prices give this company a look.

merequipment..com

My boat has a MER genset. It's an izuzu 3cylidner (same engine in my RV and I'd rather a 4cyl kubota). Nothing special, in fact I don't like the way they rigged the raw water pump at all. The truth is none of them make their own engines, controllers, or generator ends. It's all about the packaging that separates them.

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
    Just ordered two new generators for my new to me Hatt 61 cockpit motor yacht. From my days in the new construction of bigger yachts I came across a company called MER equipment in Seattle that builds the best generators you can get. They are mostly used for commercial purposes and are rated as continuous duty. They are over built and run for 30,000 - 50,000 hours between overhauls with almost no failure rate. I priced mine and ended up with a 12.5 KW and a 22 KW and they were cheaper than two similar Northern Lights units. I would never buy another Onan, Westerbeke, Northern Lights or similar built to fail generator unit again. If you want something that you can run and forget it, without all the breakdowns and crazy parts prices give this company a look.

merequipment..com
    What was the price on the 12.5?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

It's good to know that the soft-start has been successful for you - as with many others! Thanks for the info about the hybrid inverter - didn't know it existed - logical really, but thanks for pointing me in a good direction. More research!