Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: New Generator (s)

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    My boat has a MER genset. It's an izuzu 3cylidner (same engine in my RV and I'd rather a 4cyl kubota). Nothing special, in fact I don't like the way they rigged the raw water pump at all. The truth is none of them make their own engines, controllers, or generator ends. It's all about the packaging that separates them.

I have a Kilopac 15kw, it will turn 15,000 in 6.2 hours. I did replace the electric end at about 12,000 hours. Likely my fault, there was a spot of salt corrosion right in the middle is the stator. I think when I changed the rear oil seal sweat may have landed on the stator. There in no other way I could gotten in there.

The engine has needed very little, lift pump, rear seal, 9 impellors, 1 starter 4 injectors (1 had a leak), a few raw rater pumps, belts. I Chang the oil between 250 hours and 300 hours.

It has been good to me, hoping for 25,000 hours.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I too have a kilo pack
    5000 hours just oil changes and impellers
    I don’t think they are made anymore though
    Ian w 53 my

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Paul, I have this same dilemma. The #1 Kohler is dead and needs to be removed. The #2 is a very good Phasor 20.

The old Kohler space could be taken up by a big bank Lithium 48 volt battery system which theoretically has a 10 year life and could silently power one aircon at night. The lithium could also power a possible 48 volt Vetus bow thruster too, so win win. The new Kohler genset could be used to supply a 48 volt Victron/Mastervolt inverter charger. I understand charging lithium batteries is swift.

Why not consider a 48 volt lithium battery bank instead of the second genset? I'd also love to know how to do this correctly. It seems yours (and mine) is a perfect opportunity to use new technology. Am I right or am I wrong? Or do we wait another few years for the technology to improve?
    Scott, I'm going to let you "youngsters" and early adopters perfect all the electric stuff and I'm going to stick with the magic juice! Despite of all the hype, diesel oil is the ultimate renewable energy. I could grow enough rapeseed in my yard to power my generator indefinitely! Love you brother, but I'm 1.0 when it comes to that stuff.

The lifting frame is complete. It's set up for 1 ton and the generator weighs 1/2 ton. I still might have to split the alternator end off. If you've done that, how bout some tips.
    Attached Images

I have a smaller generator apart but I'm sure the principles are similar.

These are usually single-bearing units so what you end up doing is pulling the field housing which is the outer shell of the generator. The armature stays bolted to the flywheel so you'll have to slide the field housing back until you clear that. Then unbolt the armature and pull that out. It's possible you could pull the field housing back just enough to access the flywheel and pull the two pieces out together. I guess it depends on how much room you have and how much weight you feel comfortable swinging.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Thanks Derek, I looked at a parts manual diagram and that's what it looked like. The MDL4 has some vent screens near the flywheel and I was hoping to unbolt it there and remove it as a unit... but nothing difficult is ever easy.

Right. Since there's only one bearing the other end is supported by the flywheel. I'm not familiar with the specifics of your generator, but it's unlikely you'll be able to just unbolt everything as one solid piece. The armature on my Westerbeast is not retained by anything other than being sandwiched between an engine and the rear bearing.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Hi Paul,

The mechanics stopped by the boat and said they would use an Aframe to lift the old Kohler 20K complete up to floor level. They would then tear it down into bite sized chunks. They did not think the block would be too heavy; and with verbal persuasion and extra grunt could be manhandled up the 3 stairs ready for the crane barge to lift it all away.

I've pretty much decided to install a big lithium battery to take care of the house needs such as fridge and TVs. Looking at 48 volts 200 amps batteries at the moment. 2000-5000 cycles will be more than enough for my lifetime. The lithium should significantly reduce the genset running time to recharge the batteries and can be better topped up by the solar panels when not using the boat.

I have found I am not very good at looking after lead acid house batteries as I always seem to hurt them by leaving something on and draining them. I've had no issues in 4 years withe starbaord side start batteries.

Please take lots of pictures. Cheers.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Scott, you'll have to let us all know how that system works out. Very curious to see the photos and hear how it functions.

Scott, I did check on a "whole house" lithium battery setup, but a cursory guesstimate came in at 48k! I'm going to start removal sometime after the 4th holiday weekend. My plan is also to lift to floor level, if I can get the 40 inch long genny onto the ramp in 1 piece, I will, if not, I'll split off the alternator. My A frame has a beam trolly to move the unit over the ramp. Then slide up the ramp to the pilot house, onto a wheeled trolley to the back deck, then plucked off by a forklift at a nearby marina. Looks good on paper!