Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: New Generator (s)

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Scott, I did check on a "whole house" lithium battery setup, but a cursory guesstimate came in at 48k! I'm going to start removal sometime after the 4th holiday weekend. My plan is also to lift to floor level, if I can get the 40 inch long genny onto the ramp in 1 piece, I will, if not, I'll split off the alternator. My A frame has a beam trolly to move the unit over the ramp. Then slide up the ramp to the pilot house, onto a wheeled trolley to the back deck, then plucked off by a forklift at a nearby marina. Looks good on paper!
    $48k? For what?

I did 2 5k systems in phase for 240 volts with a 4 port auto switch and a buck bust auto transformer for a lot less than that.

Are you paying too well? Get me the specific requirements and I'll run real numbers.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    $48k? For what?

I did 2 5k systems in phase for 240 volts with a 4 port auto switch and a buck bust auto transformer for a lot less than that.

Are you paying too well? Get me the specific requirements and I'll run real numbers.
    Priced at 12k per 16kw unit, recommended 4 units to power the entire boat... but nobody looked at it, just asking out of curiosity.

Hi Paul,

I'm taking a different approach.

The first Australian owner converted the boat to 3 phase marina power which suited him better.

I'd have preferred the boat not have 3 phase shore power. The Phasor genset is single phase.

All of the power points and AC lights now have their own modern circuit breakers in the wheelhouse and the AC panels for these particular circuits in the engine rooms are bypassed. We also have a 12 volt 1200w inverter that can adequately power the lights and power points and big 240 volt fridge via a separate 12 volt battery system. The 12 volt battery system is charged by a 32v to 12v DC battery charger. This all works but is not ideal. The DC charger seems to zap too much energy from the 32 volt port battery bank and may well be part of the issue with the lead acid batteries.

Thus, my issue is I use/flatten the 8 x 8 volt port bank starter/house bank often enough to hurt the batteries. I cant charge them adequately on the swing mooring. I've managed to flatten the port side twice this year and they are not recovering.

So my 2019/2020 idea is to remove the old broken Kohler genset, install a Victron Multiplus 48 volt lithium inverter charger $2000, buy as big a 48v/200amp volt battery as money allows ($6000?) to wire into the revised power points, TV and fridge circuit.

Everything else DC can stay on the existing 32 volt port batteries. The only critical DC requirement from the port batteries would be the bilge pumps. I'll also replace the horrid Rule float switches that moved and got stuck open and thus flattened the batteries.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 06-25-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Look at victrons 200 ah LiFePo batteries. 4 will give you the 48 volts and they charge much more efficiently than any lead acid. Also they have an 80% duty cycle and dont need to be topped off every time.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

After painful analysis paralysis, I've decided to leave my Ono 20kw in place, and simply add the new 16EKOZD as a second generator. The Ono works well, other than being noisey, and just can't see removing it at this point. So, we're about ready to make some noise. All these boats are a little different and access varies. My genset hatch is huge compared to others. 30" x 48"
    Attached Images