Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Boost Measurement

I'm trying to get measurements on turbos and/or blowers. The engines are DD 12-71 TAB, which I'm told means "turbo, aftercooler, and bypass." The BoatDiesel guys said I can't get a reading from the individual turbos and that I should hook into the airbox after the blowers and coolers. The picture shows the suggested place - I get 0.00 psi there, and everywhere else I connect a gauge.

Even if that were to work, it wouldn't tell me anything about the individual turbos.

Any ideas - anyone?

Boost Connection.jpg
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

Re: Boost Measurement

The engines need to be loaded for the turbos to produce pressure. RPM by itself won't do anything.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I think you would need two boost gauges per engine. You might want to look at Turbocators, which also measure EGT- another useful piece of information on turbocharged marine diesels. And he's exactly right (he deals with this stuff all the time); you won't see any rise in boost pressure or EGT until the engines are operating under load.

4. Re: Boost Measurement

You would have to pick up the pressure somewhere between the turbos and the blowers. Once past the blowers, the airbox pressure is common to both sources. A said above, the engines will have to be fully loaded to generate any boost pressure..

You def shouldn't get zero there, but that's the airbox drain right? Want to make sure that stays open.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    You def shouldn't get zero there, but that's the airbox drain right? Want to make sure that stays open.
    I think he's going to put the gauge before the check valve. That shouldn't hurt anything but, as stated, I don't think its going to give him what he's looking for as its after the blower.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI