Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What’s the rush

Ok I decided to just start a project thread. Over the next few years I have a bunch of things I will be doing and as I move along any advice you all have would be greatly appreciated. Sometimes I make mistakes (more on that in a minute) and as I progress through a project if someone knows I am making a mistake please don’t hesitate to speak up it could save me a few bumps and bruises along the way. The two spring projects I have going are, all the seacocks are being replaced with Groco BV valves and backing plates. And about 40 square feet of the deck is being rebuilt.
    Last edited by Seapig100; 06-06-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Re: What’s the rush

The deck project is progressing nicely and I am just about ready to fare out the glass.

When I took out the coring the bottom glass dropped some and I have built it out with 1708 and chop stand glass. The build up is complete and the seams have been ground down and glassed.
    Attached Images

Onto my first mistake, when I measured the raw water pump intake it was at the end of a long day and I was exhausted, and I screwed up. I thought the inlet was 2 3/4 but indeed it’s 3 inches. The previous owner used dwv copper and 3 1/8 wet exhaust hose. This led to my mistake as I did not take the time to remove the hose to measure the actual intake. I am smacking myself for this because I knew better. Anyway the right parts are on the way now and I hope to get them installed by the end of next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Seapig100 View Post
    When I took out the coring the bottom glass dropped some and I have built it out with 1708 and chop stand glass. The build up is complete and the seams have been ground down and glassed.
    Did you fill it with epoxy/resin without any core?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

No there is 3/4 foam core, I just built up the sag with glass.

Keep at it, post frequently, don't be afraid to complain, you're among friends. It will all be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seapig100 View Post
    Looks great. Let’s see it when you’re all done. Keep the photos coming
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks! After these two projects I will take on a bunch of projects that I will be able to complete on Saturday and Sunday mornings while I drink coffee and listen to music. My wife and son will be able to enjoy the pool at the club while I do these things. Most of these projects will not take that long or will be able to be put down and picked up at my discretion. They also should not stop us from taking her out and enjoying her. The list includes the following. Removing the tuna tower and spreaders, replacing high water alarm with something much louder, bilges pumps installed to my standards, and the engine room detailed. This will take a year to get it where I want it but I will get it there. We plan on spending at least 2 weeks on anchor during the summer, for this reason I would like the holding tank to be at least twice the size it is, and a couple of solar panels to run the refrigerator. The work will be done in this order, except the engine room this will just be perpetual with old Detroits. The tuna tower will go before July 4th so we can go up the Charles river for the fireworks this year.
    Last edited by Seapig100; 06-06-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Everybody here makes plenty of mistakes. The difference is that you actually admit to it!

The projects are always less stressful when they don't hold up using the boat. Much easier to whittle away at stuff when she's floating and can go out for a cruise.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381