Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to Charlotte NC and need advice on where to dock a big old boat

All,

I am currently in Cleveland on Lake Erie and will be accepting a new position in Charlotte and will be moving later this year and need some advice on North Carolina. I have a 1989 67' CMY to relocate and best I can tell there is no lock system to bring it anywhere close to Charlotte and the lakes around there. Correct me if I am wrong here. I guess I will need to put it on the coast somewhere but hopefully some of you folks that live in the area can provide me some good advice and options. Additionally I will be looking at the trip and will need to break it up somewhat so any advice there on getting thru the Erie Canal/St. Lawrence river and ICW down the coast would be good as well. Open for ideas on all of this.
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Re: Moving to Charlotte NC and need advice on where to dock a big old boat

Quote Originally Posted by iraywest View Post
    All,I am currently in Cleveland on Lake Erie and will be accepting a new position in Charlotte and will be moving later this year and need some advice on North Carolina. I have a 1989 67' CMY to relocate and best I can tell there is no lock system to bring it anywhere close to Charlotte and the lakes around there. Correct me if I am wrong here. I guess I will need to put it on the coast somewhere but hopefully some of you folks that live in the area can provide me some good advice and options. Additionally I will be looking at the trip and will need to break it up somewhat so any advice there on getting thru the Erie Canal/St. Lawrence river and ICW down the coast would be good as well. Open for ideas on all of this.
    You are correct re no water route to Charlotte. Realistically, the closest big water is Charleston. Closest you could get would be around Santee, S.C. But you don’t want to be up there.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Look at north Myrtle beach , Southport, Wilmington , Carolina Beach , Wrightsville,or Atlantic Be@ch ,or Beaufort, N.C. Edward

Just leave her here in Annapolis and I will be happy to look after her for you.

That may be as far as I can get her this year! 😬
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Little River in Coquina Harbor is where I have my 1967 44 Triple Cabin. Its pretty well protected as far as the northern part of SC. Had no problems with hurricanes Matthew or Florence. Also, a little further south is Barefoot Marina in North Myrtle Beach and Grand Dunes Marina in Myrtle Beach. Here from Myrtle Beach, SC we are roughly a little over three hour drive to Charlotte, NC. I am originally from NE Ohio as well.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

Update: We are finalizing the move and I started calling marinas. Man, Charleston is expensive. Decided on Myrtle Beach and either Lightkeepers, Barefoot or Grande Dunes. Prices are in the 10-12 dollar/foot/month range. Need to check Wilmington to see if there is much difference but will probably do Myrtle Beach as the commute from Charlotte is shorter. Any advice on these three marinas would be greatly appreciated.
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

I think there is a value added tax on things like boats in the Carolina's. Hopefully, I'm wrong but you
    should check to be sure. If there is, it may be insignificant but it may be high. You might want to
    consider how much time you will have to use the boat and what would be an OK commute time to
    wherever you decide to go. I kind of like Jim's suggestion about the Chesapeake but the commute
    would probably make it unreasonable.

Walt

I vote Barefoot Landing. Great Marina, choice of golf courses, nightlife, and restuarants!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I think there is a value added tax on things like boats in the Carolina's. Hopefully, I'm wrong but youshould check to be sure. If there is, it may be insignificant but it may be high. You might want to consider how much time you will have to use the boat and what would be an OK commute time to wherever you decide to go. I kind of like Jim's suggestion about the Chesapeake but the commutewould probably make it unreasonable. Walt
    Property tax, Walt. After six months, be checking your mail. Could come anytime. Marinas are required to report new boats monthly. First bill will be approximately 11% of assessed value X millage rate as personal property. You can easily get that reduced to 6% by claiming boat as a second home or 4% as primary residence. My taxes started at $4,800 and ended up about $650. Being SC, you have to reapply annually for the breaks.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC