Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

West Central Florida Info

Looks like I will be moving to the Hernando County area of Florida for a while. The job is in the Spring Hill area and ideally would like to dock at Hernando Beach. The lady at the marina said my 4'10" loaded draft isn't an issue but others tell me it is. She said my length and beam are the problem at her marina. None of the others in there will take me either due to length. I see some 50' or so motor yachts in there at private residences. I may buy a lot but want to make sure the channel is ok for a 55C. Does anyone here have any experience in there or the Hudson area? Also Port Richey?

Ideally would like to live aboard for a while until I decide if I am staying. There are some marinas at Tarpon Springs that look like they may take my boat based on waterway guide but they don't allow live aboard. IF anyone on here knows of anywhere that does or a lot for rent or sale within 45 minute drive of Spring Hill I am interested. Thanks in advance.

Red face Re: West Central Florida Info

I had my 43DCMY ( 4 ft draft ) in The Hudson Marina. Depending on the time of year I usually had to go in and out the main channel at mid tide or better. The Hernando channel was a bit deeper BUT it is very long , winding and narrow. Meeting a commercial fisherman hell bent on getting by was challenging.
    Best deal would be docking at a private residence or lot. Maybe ask a local Realator.
    Capt. Rob

Re: West Central Florida Info

Water gets skinny above Dunedin. If you go there or Clearwater your commute would be against traffic so not too bad. Even if you find a slip that works it’s getting in and out that is the big issue. I once had my 34 in Palm Harbor and just outside of long narrow channel was ankle deep water.

Clearwater Municipal doesn't allow liveaboards, but I have to wonder if they really enforce it. My guess is they don't, based on the fact I always see the same people on the same boat every time I go in there. That would definitely be my personal choice as it's within walking distance of anything you need.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thanks for the replies so far. I called Hudson Marina and they didn't have a spot. I am on a list but he said they only had one dock that could take me and its booked. I have a realtor looking for me and Hernando has a couple of lots for sale towards the gulf end of the channel. Of course that would be a longer term solution but I have to be there by late July so probably need a marina for time being. Anyone have any experience with Crystal River? Petes Pier said they could take me. Looks like a fresh water slip and nice channel to the gulf. It doesn't look too fancy but right now Im staying with shrimp/charter boats so glamor is not an issue. Also will check out clearwater. They don't have a monthly rate listed but their weekly is 11/ft which is about what a month would be in Crystal River. I will call them and see.

There is a HOF member who keeps a boat at Crystal River that will be moving soon as it's been sold. I'm not sure where the slip is located, but it would be more than big enough for your boat. Just found that out today, but I'll check and see about details.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

This is not much but, ten years ago I took 75 MY into NPR.
    A local lead me in. There was a rock to deal with and , the boat could only move on hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    There is a HOF member who keeps a boat at Crystal River that will be moving soon as it's been sold. I'm not sure where the slip is located, but it would be more than big enough for your boat. Just found that out today, but I'll check and see about details.
    Thanks

Definitely interested as it would be closer to the job than Clearwater or Tampa. My email is brian@raganbuilders.net and cell 318-355-3393 if you want to communicate directly or give info to the person

There 3 marinas in Hudson
    Hudson beach, Skeleton key and port Hudson.
    In case you did not check them all.

Quote Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
    There 3 marinas in Hudson
    Hudson beach, Skeleton key and port Hudson.
    In case you did not check them all.
    Thanks. I called Port Hudson and they said it gets 3' in there in the winter. Not sure if they meant everywhere or just theirs. I will call the other two Monday.