Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Rudder post too pitted to re-use

Jerry, we have rudder shafts worn down to the extent our packing couldn't seal. After an extensive search & several calls to prop shops, machine shops, etc., we ended up purchasing new rudders from Sam's. Ours were one piece Mangenese Bronze. Pretty pricey, but no one could really confidently repair them since the bearing surfaces on the shafts were worn too. I can get you a couple of numbers for shops if you want to shop around for new rudders, but Sam's ended up with the best deal & they are an exact match.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Any decent prop shop can fix it...

And I doubt this is brass... either bronze or stainless
    Brass was a poor use of words. I’ve seen different variations of rudder construction and repair. You can bore a taper in the body then press a stainless shaft in and pin it or fab the whole rudder out of stainless. Really depends on what’s available and how fast you need it. The material is probably bronze but the destructive nature is the same.

Thanks very much for these insights, really appreciate it.

Walt, Fanfare and Pascal: Local Prop shop is Bobby Soles, he says they are just too far gone to attempt a rebuild. They have apparently been in business here over 50 years and have a good reputation, but I don't have a second opinion (at least from someone who is physically inspecting the rudder). I have not called a regular machine shop.

Jim, I called Buck-Algonquin. They said they don't do Hatteras anymore, and referred me to Southeastern Foundry. I have a call into them.

Finalee - if it was just me in the islands and no options, maybe I would try JB Weld. But, have the admiral, family is coming in from 2 states for several weeks in July and may go back to Bahamas, so I really want this to be a good solid solution. Not saying it wouldn't be but just not willing to try it right now.

Cricket - wow, what a nightmare, losing both rudder blades, and one of them at almost 100 miles out! Were you able to determine the root cause? Galvanic corrosion or ??

dsharp and johnjen50 - yes, the rudder post has a pinkish hue and apparently that was a major factor in not attempting to rebuild it. I have been having issues with the bonding system, have had 3 electricians on board in past few months. There is apparently a lot of stray current in our marina. Still trying to chase down the culprit.

HahnR - Thanks for offering to help, sounds like you have had exactly the same issue. I have a quote from SAMs as well as the prop shop. I would much rather deal with SAMs, but the prop shop is $400 less and they already have my rudder and post. Was your issue normal wear and tear or was it corrosion, etc?
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Someone was parting out a boat a while back.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Someone was parting out a boat a while back.
    Thanks Scott, good point. I will do some more research.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Jerry, no signs of corrosion. Just 41 years of wear and tear I guess. We now have new rudders, bearings, & top plates. Hopefully good to go for another 41 years

Randy

Update: we decided to have new rudders fabricated from stainless steel. $2880 per rudder. Another week in the yard for an unplanned riser replacement too.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL