Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rudder post too pitted to re-use

Hauled out on Monday for bottom job, exhaust hammer collector replacement (with fiberglass) on 8V71TI’s, Stbd side rudder table repair (water intrusion around the post rotted the wood), oh, and hopefully waste treatment upgrade among many other smaller to-dos.

We dropped the stbd side rudder and found the post pitted so much that it is beyond repair. I guess that partially explains water intrusion. The marine tech said the packing was not done properly either. So much packing only about 3 threads were holding the rudder. Anyway: Quote for new rudder post is $2880 and one week (Bobby Soles).

I have a call into SAMS already and waiting for their call back. In the meantime, has anyone else experienced this or have any recommendations? There are some posts on rudders going back to 2005 but did not find one about excessive pitting. Any thoughts appreciated as always!

Jerry
    Attached Images
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: Rudder post too pitted to re-use

Many large welding shops have a process called spray weld using various metal powders sprayed through
    a welding torch to build up worn or pitted shafting. After the desired amount of material is welded on,
    the part is spun on a lathe, followed if necessary by a cylindrical grinder. Large industrial shafting is
    rebuilt that way all the time. Years ago when I had a machine shop we did this type of work. I have no
    idea if there are any welding shops in your area that can do the job for you or the cost, but I would think
    that it should be far less than replacement with a new rudder. Happy hunting.

Walt

A call to a good prop shop should get you a suggestion. I know they can do this to stainless shafts and make them look and function like new. A rudder might be a little more difficult but surely worth a call.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

You could also contact Buck-Algonquin directly and see if they have a rudder which matches yours. There are not a lot of rudder manufacturing companies out there. The originals may have come from them.
    As said, a good machine shop may be able to build the shaft up with brazing material and then turn it to fit.

A machine shop could also make a sleeve. Frankly this may also be a good use of JB Weld. Fill the pits and sand it down.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Would be worried about the blade attachment to the shaft with all of the corrosion.
    Check the other rudder too. Ask me how I know about the other rudder having the same issue also?????
    Lost the 1st blade 98 miles from the beach out fishing but still had the shaft attached to the boat, fortunately.
    The lone other rudder made it 94 miles towards home before joining the twin on the bottom.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Hard to tell from the picture but when brass turns orange its not a good sign. I second a call to Buck.

Augmenting that comment about turning orange, should probably check the bonding system as well, right?
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Any decent prop shop can fix it...

And I doubt this is brass... either bronze or stainless
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Would be worried about the blade attachment to the shaft with all of the corrosion.
    This. Water getting into the rudder down the shaft causes some nasty chemical processes.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay