Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rebuild gene or replace. Need opinions.

Hi Everyone. I have my boat in key largo and one of my two genes is seized. Mechanic tells me its approximately 14k on a rebuild and 21k to replace. Its an onan 20kw and I do plan on keeping the boat for a long time.

I was leaning to replace it since i plan to keep the boat long term. I figure I would have one new and one old gene.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Last edited by Shayne; 06-04-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Re: Rebuild gene or replace. Need opinions.

Not even a close call, go new. I'm not a big Onan fan so you may want to look at some alternatives like Phasor, Northern Lights, etc.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Go new. Years of service, better on fuel, quiet, sound shield, etc. etc. etc.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

How old is the generator? If over 10/15 years it s probably worth replacing. That said $14k to rebuild just the motor seems reallly high.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks everyone!

yes the entire long block can be replaced for less than 14K......Pat

I don't think anyone here is crazy about Onans; this question has come up from time to time and everyone always advises getting a Northern Lights, a Westerbeke, a Kohler, a Phasor. All are fine. I would also look at Bollard generators, which seem to be very well made also.

Whether to rebuild your old Onan depends on how old it is and what shape the rest of it is in. And what kind of warranty you'd have on the rebuilt engine end. I thin I'd want a new one, but it isn't my money. You might look in Boats and Harbors and see if you can find a low-hours Northern Lights takeout- they are popular sets and they do come up fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I don't think anyone here is crazy about Onans; this question has come up from time to time and everyone always advises getting a Northern Lights, a Westerbeke, a Kohler, a Phasor. All are fine. I would also look at Bollard generators, which seem to be very well made also.

Whether to rebuild your old Onan depends on how old it is and what shape the rest of it is in. And what kind of warranty you'd have on the rebuilt engine end. I thin I'd want a new one, but it isn't my money. You might look in Boats and Harbors and see if you can find a low-hours Northern Lights takeout- they are popular sets and they do come up fairly often.
    Good points. I might take a look at whether I really needed a 20KW replacement. Are you really loading up the 20KW now? Does your other unit work? Can it carry some load those times it might be needed? My 55C left the factory with two 20KW's. One was designated as back-up and later removed. I've never been able to get my NL to trip. I can trip shore power breakers, but the generator just takes it in stride.

If you determine you can do as well with a smaller unit, save the weight and save the dough.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If one of my gens ever dies, I will replace it with a 12-15kw generator. Are you using only one 50amp shore power plug? a 10kw generator puts out as much power. In your shoes I would look at the quietest 12-15kw model that I could find and drop that in. As mentioned above, you can supplement with your other unit when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Hi Everyone. I have my boat in key largo and one of my two genes is seized. Mechanic tells me its approximately 14k on a rebuild and 21k to replace. Its an onan 20kw and I do plan on keeping the boat for a long time.

I was leaning to replace it since i plan to keep the boat long term. I figure I would have one new and one old gene.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    If it is the MDL 4, and you decide to buy a new one, I might be interested in buying some parts off of your old one :-)

Kristian