Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I DROPPED My Tender!

About an inch and a half!

My highly sought after HANDYDUCK HOOK, rated for #3,300, lifted my Novurania DL400 (#800) just off the cradle when BLAMO!

IMG_0462.jpg
    Before

IMG_0463.jpg
    After. I painted the portion of the dog that broke red.

Yes, it was fully engaged. It's either engaged or it's not.

This was my first use and last use of this product. This could have been catastrophic in terms of property damage and personal injury. Anybody got the name of one of them mesothelioma lawyers?

I feel very lucky that, if it had to fail, it failed when it did.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: I DROPPED My Tender!

You are lucky.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Is it made from steel or aluminum? Cast or forged?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

You re joking, right? This is a plastic hook... isn’t it?

I don’t care if the manufacturer claims it can lift 3300 lbs. this is not a lifting hook.

I once had a welded round ring holding three lifting cable snap open resulting in the 15’ tender dropping only 2’ in the water. Lesson learned I never used a welded ring again. Only oversized shackles and over rated carabiners
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You re joking, right? This is a plastic hook... isn’t it? I don’t care if the manufacturer claims it can lift 3300 lbs. this is not a lifting hook. I once had a welded round ring holding three lifting cable snap open resulting in the 15’ tender dropping only 2’ in the water. Lesson learned I never used a welded ring again. Only oversized shackles and over rated carabiners
    Better not fly, then. They’re making airplanes out of stuff like this. #3,300 rating breaking at 25% load sounds like a bad run maybe. Apparently lots of folks use this product successfully. Once was enough for me.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert I would not trust your tender after that fall, for your safety and well being I will have it picked up by my shipper at your convenience.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Robert I would not trust your tender after that fall, for your safety and well being I will have it picked up by my shipper at your convenience.
    Help! I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I had a winch cable snap while lifting to clean the bottom in the Bahamas. I was going to get under it while it was up and get rid of the growth.

BOOM! It fell into the water.

Everyone in the marina knew something bad happened and stopped by to check on me thankfully.

I always stood aside when lifting and dropping. Glad I did.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    You should not trust your Hatteras either after that. I will be down to pick her up for further testing.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Better not fly, then. They’re making airplanes out of stuff like this. #3,300 rating breaking at 25% load sounds like a bad run maybe. Apparently lots of folks use this product successfully. Once was enough for me.
    There is plastic and there is reinforced plastic. This isn’t carbon fiber... looks like molded plastic to me.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat