Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Los Angeles area slip options

I am exploring an opportunity in the LA (West Hollywood) area that would have me in the realm for 2-3 yrs. Not a full time gig, approx 1/2 of my time. What to do with boat?????

75 CPMY, currently lying in Tampa Fl. I’m “thinking” about shipping boat to the LA and using as a live aboard while in the area. Would take the opportunity to explore in my free time (up to three week stretches). Could envision cruising (Pacific NW) in summers then spending winters in LA.

Alternatively, leave boat on the east side and fly back and forth.

Now for the questions?

- Slips; join yacht club or municipal marina? How much should I budget.
    - Marina Del Rey? Redondo Beach? Other suggestions?
    - Ship boat directly to San Juan Islands, cruise for season, return to LA early fall?
    - Ship boat to Mexico, cruise a little, migrate up coast?
    - Any tax implications of leaving boat in Ca?

Total West Coast greenhorn, I don’t know what I don’t know, scares me a bit.

Brett

Re: Los Angeles area slip options

If you leave the boat in California for more than a month they are going to tax it at a little more than 1% of it's appraised value. People who bring their boats in from Mexico for repairs get dinged if it sits it the yard too long. California loves your $$$
    Finding a slip in Marina Del Rey is a long shot for a boat of that length. You could possibly find one in Wilmington around Long Beach but that would be a hellacious commute to West Hollywood.
    Ventura and Oxnard marinas are an option but the commute is going to kill you going down the 101 to LA. Expect two hours in traffic one way.
    Budget wise, I paid around $1800 a month for a liveaboard slip in Oxnard. My boat is 70' according to the marinas with a measuring tape. In Marina Del Rey if you can find one expect to pay around double that amount. I've looked for years in MDR and haven't found a thing. I never looked at the yacht clubs, just municipal marinas and I looked at all of them.
    IF you find a slip you could ship the boat from Port Everglades to Ensenda Mexico. Last time I checked it was around $35,000 to ship on top of a cargo ship.
    If it was me I'd keep the boat in Tampa.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

I got stopped at the gate of a strange marina around here a while back by a teenager assigned to manage parking. He asked, "Do y'all have a slip?." I said sure do and continued on in. My wife commented that, in fact, she even had some half slips. Gotta love those kids.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

What Ron said, big slips in So Cal are expensive and hard to find. Another option would be to ship directly to Vancouver Canada and keep the boat up there or in Washington, slips are much!!! cheaper up there but the cruising season is very short. The other option is to try to sublease a slip part time from someone who is off cruising. Forget the Yacht Club option, waiting lists in most yacht clubs for big slips are extremely long and So Cal yacht club initiation fees and dues are pretty high. If you were to join our yacht club for instance it would cost $10,000 initiation and you would have a 70 foot slip in about 20 years if you are lucky. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Ron: Even though sales tax was paid in another state, Ca. will still try? Is it some sort of Intangible Property Tax?
    Brett

Personal property tax all boat users pay every year. It's not a licensing and registration tax. It's a tax that averages about 1% on the value of your yacht every year. It sucks but we have to pay for the illegals here.

John is right that the further you go north the cheaper the slip rates. In San Diego where John is Kona Kai marina is charging $34 plus per foot if you can find a slip. Rusty who is close to me in San Francisco pays around $300 a month for his. I pay $1100 for mine in San Francisco/Richmond. My boat was in Seattle before I bought it and I think the PO paid around $800 a month for his slip.

I just would just save money and fly back and forth to Tampa. Finding a large boat slip here is about as common as finding a virgin in a brothel. You can find it, but it's not easy and not inexpensive.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    Personal property tax all boat users pay every year. It's not a licensing and registration tax. It's a tax that averages about 1% on the value of your yacht every year. It sucks but we have to pay for the illegals here.

John is right that the further you go north the cheaper the slip rates. In San Diego where John is Kona Kai marina is charging $34 plus per foot if you can find a slip. Rusty who is close to me in San Francisco pays around $300 a month for his. I pay $1100 for mine in San Francisco/Richmond. My boat was in Seattle before I bought it and I think the PO paid around $800 a month for his slip.

I just would just save money and fly back and forth to Tampa. Finding a large boat slip here is about as common as finding a virgin in a brothel. You can find it, but it's not easy and not inexpensive.
    I think you’re right Ron, take into consideration the cost of a hotel stay while you’re out here plus the flight back-and-forth. If you plan on staying in the Los Angeles area they would definitely be cheaper to go back-and-forth.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

As pointed out, just to live on that would be a very costly and laborious proposition. For the cruising the LA area is limited. You can got to Catalina.... or Catalina..... Or Mexico and that's not a weekend thing.

Further north is where I would park it and go for R&R. 2 hour flight/drivable if you need to bring a lot of stuff and VERY nice cruising grounds. San Juans and all that. With proper heating a yacht that size can have a very extensive season.

Or just leave it where it is and fly back and forth.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    As pointed out, just to live on that would be a very costly and laborious proposition. For the cruising the LA area is limited. You can got to Catalina.... or Catalina..... Or Mexico and that's not a weekend thing.

Further north is where I would park it and go for R&R. 2 hour flight/drivable if you need to bring a lot of stuff and VERY nice cruising grounds. San Juans and all that. With proper heating a yacht that size can have a very extensive season.

Or just leave it where it is and fly back and forth.

So a 2 bour flight to work is worth it? Just to live cheaper in a 70+ foot motoryacht. I think your not understand his reason for going to the people's republic of kalifornia

I don't think the original poster was asking about cheaper options. I bet hes looking at costs to see if he wants to do it or not in the area he needs to be around.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    So a 2 bour flight to work is worth it? Just to live cheaper in a 70+ foot motoryacht. I think your not understand his reason for going to the people's republic of kalifornia
    Nah, should have been more clear. He'd have to get a S$B in LA. The free time could be spent in the San Juans....

That's what I'd do. Good opportunity to see that part of the world.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay