Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Does anyone have an opinion on a good quality Center console/Walkaround?

Watermen on the Chesapeake seem to like Hondas and Yamahas..

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I have a customer selling a 28 seafox. Older boat but not too bad except for the verado power. They run ok but I just cant get on the verado team
    Scott,
    Seems by your post that you are a boat broker. Can you give me some opinions on the good and bad of outboard motors? All i had was a 20 Johnson when was young and a 2.5 Yamaha for my raft with limited use. The bigger engines are all new to me and especially used ones but that is what i am most likely going to end up with.
    regards,
    MARSHALL

DO NOT buy a Sea Fox under any circumstances. Quite possibly the worst built boat ever. The guy who owns the company works all the boat shows and sells a lot of these boats as the least expensive boat available. He then refuses any warranty claims of which there are tons, then bankrupts the company and starts again the next day with a new name. Over and over.

Look for a used Intrepid....not a cheep boat but amazing quality and ride! I have owned a Boston Whaler, Grady White and a Pursuit. Non of those come close to the 32 Intrepid I have now. Twin 250 Yamaha have a cruise of 30knts plus and with five adult males, 3/4 tank of fuel, topped out at 60 mph! Dry ride in all conditions. Great boat!

I have owned pursuit (26 with twin yamaha)-doesnt have the hull design for ocean. I used it on lakes and near shore.
    Edgewater I own now. not as rugged or heavy as a regulator. Designed by former Boston Whaler team.
    more family friendly, and less $$, well made. Said another way, a regulator handles sea state well in weather that I no longer want to be in with a center console.
    yamaha is the OB engine standard that everyone compares others to. Suzuki has done well in recent years.
    Find a knowledgeable dealer that can service whatever brands you consider.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Yes I have seen a few negative posts about the Sea Fox, dont think ill be going down that road. looked at a few "Sea Hunt" boats must be good they are expensive used even.

Will check out "Intrepid" but not looking for a boat that big i'm thinking 24 is the biggest i want to go. I want to trailer it different places and have it easy to pop in.

So wondering why Pursuit was not a good sea boat? I am leaning to Yammy have a lot of faith in there products and own them....even their drums ! There is however a lot of mercury and other out there on used boats. I want to know what the really bad ones are .

thanks Guys
    Last edited by CodFather; 05-24-2019 at 08:07 PM.

I know a dealer that dislikes Verados because of all of the parts. It is a supercharged engine. Two Stroke ETECs are a pretty good choice IMHO. We had a 40HP and didn't ever get a whiff of smoke out of it.
    Regards
    Dan

I second the 32 intrepid. I have the 300 Yamaha's . A proven boat that has been made for at least 14 years.

Beware of many older center consoles have rotten floors and transoms. You didn’t say your budget. A new 23cc will prolly cost 2-3 times what you sold your Hatt for or more. I have had 2 23 Duskys both were bought new. Heavy solid sea boats but slow compared to other brands. I’ve restored and flipped a 23’ Potter built Sea Craft which still is prized as a classic. I,be also done 2 whalers a 20’ Guardian and a 22 outrage. Older whalers are worth looking at because their tough as nails and never break. Pound more than deep V boats but are legendarily stabile for trolling or drift fishing.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I’ll add this I bought the first 23 CC Dusky when I bought a house in Florida. Our offshore fishing there starts 11 mi off at the edge of the gulfstream. I wanted an all around boat that wasn’t too big for the river but could also be capable of inshore and offshore fishing. I can be from my dock to the fishing grounds in about an hour. While it was great in the river and inshore on anything but a flat day you get your brains beat in offshore. I think if it’s going to be just a ocean fishing boat you need to be in the 27-31 range. I also found that the days fuel burn running the cc vs the Hatteras wasn’t that much different. I burn 150 gallons of diesel in the hatt vs 90 in the cc and the price difference between off-road diesel and the non ethanol gas is almost double.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present