Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help for Detroit 8V71Tis Low oil pressure at idle

At idle one of my Detroits is only showing 3 to 5 lbs oil pressure. Once I increase the rpm's it increases to 45 lbs. Need help finding a 2 cycle Detroit guy in the Boca Raton-Delray Beach area. Most guys will travel. Would appreciate some advice or referrals for a Detroit mechanic on the East Coast of Florida.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Re: Help for Detroit 8V71Tis Low oil pressure at idle

What did it used to show? It isn't that unusual for DDs to have low oil pressure at idle when hot. Is this a big change?

Mechanical gauge? If not, put a mechanical on there to make sure the reading is correct.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Those gauges fail all the time. My transmission gauges showed 180 and 220 PSI. I added mechanical gauges directly in the the engine rooms. Both read 125 PSI. Right where it’s supposed to be.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

5 PSI is not abnormal at idle with warm oil. Here is one of many posts on boat diesel regarding that

https://boatdiesel.com/Forums/index....&Search=2&SR=1

I'm not telling you everything is OK cause I don't want to be part of ruining your engine but I think if its getting 45 psi at higher RPM you should be ok. A mechanic could tell you for sure. I know my 12V71's run pretty low at idle with warm oil

Also are you running straight 40 weight oil? If your oil is too thin that may make pressure lower. Also you may want to have an oil analysis for fuel dilution
    Last edited by Briankinley2004; 05-21-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Oil was changed 20 hours ago with Detroit 40 weight oil. I don't remember it being so low but can't honestly say I remember.

This was with a mechanical gauge in the engine room. Will try with a new gauge.

Appreciate the help.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Wouldn’t the alarm go off if the pressure was really that low?
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Wouldn’t the alarm go off if the pressure was really that low?
    yes if it is working. The thread I posted talks about it is normal on some engines for the alarm to go off when engaging gears on 71 series. I haven't experienced this

Mine will "ring the bell" with hot oil if I go into reverse with too much way on - 5 knots or so.
    The manual says it's normal.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    Mine will "ring the bell" with hot oil if I go into reverse with too much way on - 5 knots or so.
    The manual says it's normal.
    Same here. When running at idle while lining up on my slip, I'll get a few short rings every time I bump it into reverse if I have any forward momentum at all.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi