Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fresh water flush

Ok I am totally confused. If you put a hose fitting on the zinc hole on the water pump, close the sea cock turn on a garden hose and run the engine at idle, will this be sufficient to flush the engine or will this not be enough water flow or will the hose pressure bend the impeller blades? I am not talking about a barnacle buster HE flush, just a fresh water flush with the engine running. Thanks, John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: Fresh water flush

I guess I have to ask, why do this procedure?
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

If it can be done easily after running it would get the salt water out of Heat exchangers, did it on my last boat, helped to keep He cleaner. I thought Robert set up a system to do this on his 1271’s.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Ok I am totally confused. If you put a hose fitting on the zinc hole on the water pump, close the sea cock turn on a garden hose and run the engine at idle, will this be sufficient to flush the engine or will this not be enough water flow or will the hose pressure bend the impeller blades? I am not talking about a barnacle buster HE flush, just a fresh water flush with the engine running. Thanks, John
    John, that’ll work just fine. No need to close seacock. Nothing will get past the impeller. I give mine 10 minutes with dock water pressure of 75+ psi.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks Robert, but if you run the engine with the sea cock open why doesn’t the pump pull in salt water also?
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Thanks Robert, but if you run the engine with the sea cock open why doesn’t the pump pull in salt water also?
    You don’t run it. Run the fresh after a cruise. That’s why I put in taps with quick connects.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC