Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

generator removal

I am in the process of purchasing a 1982 61 cockpit motor yacht and need to replace Both the generators. Has anyone had experience with removing the generators on one of these boats.

Re: generator removal

Best thing we did was to install a large hatch over the galley which allowed us to use our yacht clubs crane to pull both generators straight out and lower the new one in. It is also great for changing out batteries the same way. See my gallery photos for a picture. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Short of Scarlett's beautiful galley hatch to which I'm quite envious, you can also remove old unit by separating the generator head from engine and take them out in pieces.

We replaced our generator last year and old one came out in two pieces and new one went in in two pieces. Don't know about other brands but Northern Lights actually had a written procedure for installing the new unit in pieces.

They put down all kinds of stuff to protect the interior of the boat, took apart the generator, hoisted it up onto the galley floor with a small A-frame and then hand walked each section up the stairs and out the back door.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

If I remove them in on piece how do I get them out of the boat. The window in the galley looks too small for the units to pass through and they weigh 1100 lbs.

Don't know about the 61 but on the 53 you can't remove them in one piece. Won't go up the stairs.

That's why we separated the generator head from the engine and then hand walked them out of the boat in pieces.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Short of Scarlett's beautiful galley hatch to which I'm quite envious, you can also remove old unit by separating the generator head from engine and take them out in pieces.

We replaced our generator last year and old one came out in two pieces and new one went in in two pieces. Don't know about other brands but Northern Lights actually had a written procedure for installing the new unit in pieces.

They put down all kinds of stuff to protect the interior of the boat, took apart the generator, hoisted it up onto the galley floor with a small A-frame and then hand walked each section up the stairs and out the back door.
    I’m a Cabo owner but this is exactly what we did when my back end needed to be replaced.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Don't know about the 61 but on the 53 you can't remove them in one piece. Won't go up the stairs.

That's why we separated the generator head from the engine and then hand walked them out of the boat in pieces.
    i removed mine from a 58 yf which is the same galley configuration in one piece. removed the table, put boards from dinette to the top of the stairs, pulled the generator, slid it over to the dinette area, lifted it onto the boards, put some pieces of pipe under id and pulled it up the boards with a come-a-long that was hooked to a board that ran across the boat and out of both side doors, the fwd side of the door frame held the board so we could pull from it
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Pulled mine in one piece. I-beam through the galley windows. Lifted with a chain fall. Then put boards from dinette area to the top of the stairs and rolled it out the back door. It can be done and most good yards have done a few on these boats.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

It's really simple to break generators down into two pieces. I replaced an Onan with a Northern Lights and the Northern Lights was installed in two pieces. My mechanic said it was easier to break the generators down than to try to wrestle them in and out in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by rjwilliams View Post
    It's really simple to break generators down into two pieces. I replaced an Onan with a Northern Lights and the Northern Lights was installed in two pieces. My mechanic said it was easier to break the generators down than to try to wrestle them in and out in one piece.

That was our conclusion as well. You just have to be careful not to nail the windings with the stator. Mine had an alignment cone to keep everything lined up.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"