Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Galley Maid Windlass removal

It put up fight. Started with just pulling the motor to get replaced with a 24v motor from Raz but once we pulled the motor we saw water coming out of the gear case. Chain gipsy is frozen on shaft. I think It took the guys longer to get it out than to pull one Detroit

Going to have it rebuilt
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Galley Maid Windlass removal

Yep - if the shaft is at all bent from pulling the boat with the chain or galled from the gypsy spinning loose, you'll add hours and contribute a couple of knuckles to the project. This is one of the best reasons for having, and using, a good snubber system. Check the runout on the shaft over the whole length and replace if necessary.
    Often, the key ways will show some wear. If so, have new ones cut 180 degrees away from the bunged up ones.
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

Re: Galley Maid Windlass removal

Quote Originally Posted by R D Young View Post
    Yep - if the shaft is at all bent from pulling the boat with the chain or galled from the gypsy spinning loose, you'll add hours and contribute a couple of knuckles to the project. This is one of the best reasons for having, and using, a good snubber system. Check the runout on the shaft over the whole length and replace if necessary.
    Often, the key ways will show some wear. If so, have new ones cut 180 degrees away from the bunged up ones.
    AMEN!

Somewhere along the way I have lost my chain gate / brake just aft of the roller. I have always used that AND snub gear back through to forward deck cleats.

The GalleyMaid 2000 is STILL behaving after all of these years due to (hopefully) my care.

Just changed the oil and (am) wrestling with the pseudo gasket replacement this morning.... Rick from Galley Maid provided some useful insight this morning to get me through the next aspect of the project.

Thankful that it is not as involved as Pascal's endeavors.
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"