Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shore power/electrical question

I have a 37C. Stayed on the hook all weekend using the generator. All was well. Came back to dock, hooked back up to pedestal, turned on the salon a/c and it would not turn on and was making a weird sound. A couple of outlet breakers tripped in house also. I immediately shut off the 2 breakers on the panel. I looked at the volt meter on the panel and it was pegged. So I guess the shore power was feeding 240 v through the system. I was plugged in using a 50 amp line split to 2 30amp receptacles on the boat as I always do. Went to another pedestal and everything went back to normal with the exception of an electrical smell at panel and one of breakers for the inside receptacles trips after a minute or 2. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you,
    Chris Puryear

Re: Shore power/electrical question

Test everything. The post, the cord, the splitter. If everything tests good then with all breakers and shore power switch off, test back of inlet then to switch then main breaker. You probly fried something behind the panel with the power spike. Sound like it's something at the post or feeding it, could even be that your splitter didn't split. Be sure to look behind the panel after it's fixed and replace anything that doesn't look good.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Sounds like the neutral was energized. Not good. Could be the pedestal or the splitter.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Where you using a "smart" splitter or just a regualr no frills "Y" splitter?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Where you using a "smart" splitter or just a regualr no frills "Y" splitter?
    I think he said it was split from a 50a 240v to 2 30amp 120v going into the boat.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I think he said it was split from a 50a 240v to 2 30amp 120v going into the boat.
    Yes, Chris Puryear posted "plugged in using a 50 amp line split to 2 30amp receptacles on the boat".
    Please tell me where the post states the actual type of splitter used?
    The term "splitter" is generic in my opinion, which is why I was looking for clarification.

It seems that dock wiring is very suspect just about everywhere, we've even had issues at some of the finest marinas where you expect perfection.
    The lesson to be learned for the HOF community, and what's really important, is that non-smart splitters are dangerous.
    This might be a very good example of what can happen if a non-smart splitter was used.
    Luckily nobody was electrocuted and the boat didn't catch on fire.

Also, everyone should install an isolation transformer if you don't have one already, safety for all.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Please correct me if I m wrong but when splitting a 120/240-50 down to two 120/30, the splitter is always a dumb splitter. There is no need for protection

It s when connecting a 120/240-50 cord to twin 120-30, or a 120/240-100 cord to twin 120-240-50, that you need a smart Y (not a splitter) to make sure the hots are on opposing phases

Whenever connecting at a new pedestal, it s always a good idea to turn off all the breakers first, then turn on the rotaries and check voltage on the meters before activating breakers

As others have mentioned, carefully inspect the wiring behind the panel as well as behind the shore power inlets.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal, yep you're correct, no smart splitters going the other way, single 250v 50amp male to 2 x 125v 30amp females.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

1st guess is best guess if everything is back to normal, I'm assuming all 110 Volt stuff is still functional. The one breaker that pops probably took the biggest hit and got cooked, if that's the case got real lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

Also, everyone should install an isolation transformer if you don't have one already, safety for all.

I agree. It should be a requirement.
    Sky Cheney