Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Shore power/electrical question

Thank you guys for all of your replies. I am not aware what a "smart" splitter is. I am not very familiar with using splitters. All of my previous boats only had one connection. I have been using a 50 amp. cord plugged into a y splitter to (2) 30 amp connections at my boat. 1 for the 2a/c units, and 1 for the house power. When I switched to another pedestal, everything worked. Curious if this could happen again while I am away from boat? Our marina got hit pretty hard by Hurricane Florence. Still not sure what happened to send the high voltage to the boat. I will always check my panel from now on before energizing he breakers. Just very uneasy to leave the boat plugged in, or staying on the boat while plugged in at the marina. Is there any way to assure, protect the circuit?

Thanks again,
    Chris

It has to be a wiring issue between the pedestal and a transformer on the dock. Something shorted on there and sent 240v on one leg instead of 120v. Did your talk to the marina?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I did Paschal, and he stated that there has not been a problem. Very small marina. Only he and I at this time using shore power. I think I will not use that pedestal again.

Did you check voltage at the pedestal? Either H/N should show 120 and H / H should show 240. If you get 240 between H and N then that’s your problem
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Again, it sounds like there is a hot neutral there.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

How are isolation transformers installed on boats such as ours with multiple shore power inlet sources?

Our 58 YF can bring power onboard from 6 receptacles; (2) 50A 125/250V and/or (4) 50A 125V.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

I would think you would get two isolation transformers, one for each 240v-50 amp circuit. The 4x 120v circuits feed the legs of the 240v circuits, if I am not mistaken.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL