Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Little things make a difference!

We redid our guest head last year. The GalleyMaid head was looking ratty, and we considered all the alternatives. In the end, we updated what we had. Put in new stainless screws and beauty washers. Replaced the clear air line with black, replaced the bronze fitting on the back with PVC and a nylon nipple. Replaced the black rubber drain line with PVC, and the water inlet line with white Shields XHD. And finally a soft close toilet seat. Bath Royal br620. Got less than $100 bucks in it, works and looks new..
    Attached Images

Re: Little things make a difference!

We did the same thing two years ago, it’s a great system, I know it’s old but it’s very reliable. Best thing ever is the slow close toilet seat. If you guys don’t have this you were missing out big time.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

My wife found this one at bargain hut for $22 bucks, but Amazon has them for $50 or so. They are nice, just a tap and the slowly close. Ain't Merica great!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 05-20-2019 at 06:15 PM.

Looks nice and you saved a few boat bucks, that's merica.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Where did you get the Shields line and what size? I need to replace the water line to mine all the way to the seacock. Does it connect to the toilet and seacock with clamps like the wire reinforced hose that comes on the boat? Im dreading the project because the line runs through the bow in places I can't see with clamps every 6" or so. Having the toilet turn out as good looking as yours is incentive for me to do the job

It's the line from the pump to the head. 1 inch, I believe. From Fisheries supply, no wire. Heat the ends in hot water to soften for connection.

Thanks for the info

IMHO, the line between the seacock and the pump, needs to have the wire, because it is a vacuum line. Plain vinyl hose can collapse under vacuum.
    For potable water, I use shields series 163 galvanized wire reinforced fda approved pvc hose between the tank and the pump. It is also a vacuum line.

Dottieshusband is the hose you referenced white hose? I think that looks cleaner per the picture.

The white Shields XHD 148 is non reinforced, but quite stiff. It's good for the pressure side, like the run from the pump to the head. It does look clean and great for the exposed supply to the head. But I wouldn't use it for the run from the thru hull back to the pump because that is a suction/vacuum line. IMHO, that requires a reinforced hose to prevent collapse during suction. Sorry if I confused you. The XHD hose is very, very stiff and just about impossible to slide onto the hose barb as is. Dipping the end in near boiling water for 30 -45 seconds makes it very pliable and it will slide on easily.