Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Main Salon Cruise Air System - Blower Runs All The Time

Had a failed triac that I replaced (different story that I'll post later) and now the system seems to run just fine except with the thermostat set to auto the compressor cycles on and off properly but the blower runs constantly regardless setting.

I've got the old Honeywell thermostats with the selector switch at the bottom with three choices: auto, off and on (l to r). I thought the blower cycles on and off with the compressor when set to auto and remains running constantly only when the switch is in the "On" position.

Not sure if I got a bad thermostat holding the blower circuit closed in the auto position or if there's some other setting in the system that can keep the blower running.

As always any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Re: Main Salon Cruise Air System - Blower Runs All The Time

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Had a failed triac that I replaced (different story that I'll post later) and now the system seems to run just fine except with the thermostat set to auto the compressor cycles on and off properly but the blower runs constantly regardless setting.

I've got the old Honeywell thermostats with the selector switch at the bottom with three choices: auto, off and on (l to r). I thought the blower cycles on and off with the compressor when set to auto and remains running constantly only when the switch is in the "On" position.

Not sure if I got a bad thermostat holding the blower circuit closed in the auto position or if there's some other setting in the system that can keep the blower running.

As always any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    We have electronic controls but run the blower all the time because the capillary is in the return vent and needs circulation to control the compressor.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

My very experienced AC guy says that you should have them running all the time for proper temp control. Not sure with your units if it cycles faster on its own when compressor is triggered on...

I recently replaced my salon cruisair with Honeywell's thermostats, but the fan never cycled off. Compressor yes, but fan no. I put in a self contained Martinaire. And you can set it to cycle with the compressor or run all the time.

If you want intermittent blower fan operation you are going to have to move the temp sensors out into the cabin and away from the evaporator coils.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

On my old boat I had a 16k cruiseair unit self contained and the fan ran continuously. I have 4 splits on my current boat and they also run the fan continuously. Two of my units the fan is at a set speed regardless of the fan speed set on the knob. I figure the rheostats are bad, btw all my units are of the 3 knob style and three are OE and purring along but the 22k unit for the salon that was replaced before my purchase needs a new compressor. I almost sprung for a new unit $5k+ But I'm finally having an AC guy swap compressors for half that.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.