Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: siezed turbo

Re: siezed turbo

It's funny, before I "retired" I did all my own mechanical work, now I don't have the time.
    How did that happen?
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Every person I know who is retired wonders how they ever found the time to go to work.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I can’t wait to feel that feeling. Six months to go.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Every person I know who is retired wonders how they ever found the time to go to work.
    True this! No longer having an excuse not to attack the honey-do list really cuts into your time.
    And in my case all the issues I have been putting off on the family rental property empire came all at once.
    I replaced 22 garages and patios, replaced the electric panels and tented for termites on one property, roofed five buildings, built a retaining wall and renewed the paving on another, re did all the gas and electric (from scratch) on..er...under a large mobile home park, then my mom passed last year so I got on refurbishing that house to sell (closed last Friday - Yay!).
    In addition, the owner of the project where my engineering business is located decided to sell and the new owners want to re-position the project as a high end millenial oriented wheat grass/safe room type of high tech facility so I am in the finishing stages of relocating that whole mess (offices, machinery, lab, etc).
    It's hard to find the time to use the boat and still race sports cars and ride my motorcycles. Oh, and race RC cars on Wednesday nights.
    I need a nap.....

Sticking turbos happen quite a bit in aircraft engines that aren’t used frequently mechanics often pull the oil lines and soak the bearings with mouse milk to dissolve the coking and rust in the bearings. I owned a Cessna 340A for 24 years the norm was to allow the engines to operate at Idle for 5 minutes before shutdown to make sure the turbos were cooled down and the oil in the bearings didn’t coke. I bought the plane new in 1984 from Southwest Skyways in Torrance Ca and ran the first set of engines and turbos 400 hours past TBO.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

To no one's surprise, the turbo is "welded" to the manifold.
    Application of penetrating spooge has been done, now to let it sit a few days and try again.
    If that deosn't work, next I'll try heat. But how much heat will it take for something that runs red hot in operation?

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Friend of mine, pediatrician, so looked forward to retiring--hunt'n, fish'n, hang'n out at the gun club ... His wife looked forward to winning yard of the month (every month according to my friend). His retirement lasted about two months.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The turbo was jammed by carbon on the hot side. The guy I got the rebuilt one from - "Detroits Only" highly respected in SoCal - looked at it and said "push the levers up more often and for longer periods"
    Ok....

Craig Stange at Detroits Only is the best Detroit Diesel mechanic I've ever met. If he said push em up for longer, I'd do it
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Craig Stange at Detroits Only is the best Detroit Diesel mechanic I've ever met
    Agreed.
    He said as soon as I get the boat running to run her at 1800-1900 for at least two hours.
    Maybe I'll go out and chase some of the bluefin that have been hanging around Cortez Bank lately, and run all the way. It's only fuel.....