Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wet Lazarette Solution

Always been a little irritated at the standing water in my lazarette's center bilge.

IMG_0420.jpg

1-1/2 to 2" and not enough to trigger bilge pump. Two sources. One is rudder post weep and anything in a forward bilge (AC condensate for example) that tends to move aft when the boat gets on plane. The limber holes in the lazarette bilge are too high to allow water to flow back from whence it came.

Another source was the bilge pump thru hull. It has a loop about a foot above the outlet. What it needed was a check valve to stop water from overcoming the loop and entering the boat from backing down, etc.

My solution was to turn a 15 Sq. Ft. sump into a 4 Sq. Ft. sump by putting in a 3-1/2" high transverse partition. 2" water depth is enough to trigger the pump. Any catastrophic flooding event will have to jump the wall. A) That's not enough to sink me, and B) I'm not depending on that bilge pump to save me, in any case.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 05-24-2019 at 07:56 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Wet Lazarette Solution

did it completely eliminate the water? I put a Ultra Mini float switch in mine. It only takes 1/2" to trigger it but I still have some water in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    did it completely eliminate the water? I put a Ultra Mini float switch in mine. It only takes 1/2" to trigger it but I still have some water in mine.
    I hope so, that's the plan. There's just no good place put the pump. Plus the compartment is just way too big to put up with water sloshing around. I have to concentrate the water or nothing ever really dries.

But to answer your question. I'm sure the sump won't completely dry. But I have eliminated one of the two sources of water, and now it's manageable.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 05-24-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I like the idea, it should definitely help with that problem. We have had dealings with the same thing. It seems to me that our convertibles sit just a tad low in the bow or maybe level. My thought is that they should sit now up so things can drain like rainwater ect. That little bit of water in all my bolder stops irritates me. Just never seems clean.

All my compartments tend to retain a bit of water. I have resorted to using the green Harbor Freight $35 12 volt pump to empty them out. They usually stay pretty dry until I run the boat. I don't have the dripless seals so I think that's the main culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    All my compartments tend to retain a bit of water. I have resorted to using the green Harbor Freight $35 12 volt pump to empty them out. They usually stay pretty dry until I run the boat. I don't have the dripless seals so I think that's the main culprit.
    Key phrase: Run the boat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Why not install a diaphragm pump and suck out the last drop?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Why not install a diaphragm pump and suck out the last drop?
    Why let the water go all over the place in the first place?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Why let the water go all over the place in the first place?
    Good point. Fix the leaks and then there won't be any water to go all over lol. I hate standing water in the bilge. I think I need to drop my rudders to achieve this goal, though.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Actually, were it not for rudder weep and ac condensate I’d breakout my feather duster on those bilges.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC