Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Engine Alignment

So we got 4 new cutlass bearings and 1 new shaft (replaced 2 piece) while we were on the hard. Bad part is the yard did not have anyone to do an alignment. I am familiar with the concept. But when I look at my motor mounts they have shims not wedges and obviously no screw pins. So if I attempt this do I need to go to a machine shop and ask for them to produce a bag of mixed thickness shims? How close do I need to get it ? I thought I had outgrown having to play bilge monkey but our lack of skilled mechanics here on the TN River only gets worse by the year. Pretty much the only way to get anything done right is to wait 6 months and or do it yourself.

Re: Engine Alignment

Have you checked to see how far out it is as-is? Before I bought anything I think I'd slip a feeler gauge in and see how far how you really were.

Pics of the setup may help as well, I've never seen on that used shims.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

That work doesn't necessitate an alignment. Is it off? Decouple at the engine flange and do the feeler gauge routine. The boat should be in the water. I had shims made up by a machine shop for mine. Cost $36 each, but worth it.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

The yard owner told me they were out of alignment. I have not unbolted them to see. I came home at 1200 rpm and it was pretty smooth but I still have to rebuild a waterpump to get it up on plane and run for any amount of time. I really wanted to have everything there to do the alignment before I went to the effort to unbolt the coupler.

Engine or struts out of allignment?

If they replaced the shafts and bearings they should have checked after launch. It would be easy to do it because all the hardware should be clean or new.

Did they have the shafts and couplings set and faced properly?

Did the check the strut alignment and the stuffing box too?

I cant believe they did all that without an alignment and let you leave "knowing" something is wrong.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I think that kind of work (cutlass bearings, new shaft) does require that the alignment be checked. I think they should have offered you the option of getting someone to travel in to do it, once the boat was launched. Your decision to come home at low speed was a good one, IMHO. Since the boat is now in the water, do you have the option of getting someone to come in to do it?

I am also bothered, as Scott pointed out, by the fact that the boat was sent out of their yard with the work incomplete. I would think that a yard who were willing to change out cutlass bearings and fit a new shaft would have the capability to line the drive trains up properly. Or to bring in someone who can do it if they can’t.

In the meantime, you could get a diver to just check how easy it is to turn the wheels by hand with everything shut off. That doesn’t substitute for an alignment, granted, but it might give you an idea somewhat where you are.

They sell shims at graingers or you can get some sheet aluminum or sheet metal and cut them yourself. What size engine are you talking about? If it’s heavier than around 2500 lbs. you will need some way to lift the rear and front of the engine. Breaking the coupling bolts loose isn’t exactly a lot of fun either. As previously stated it would be nice to know if they faced the coupling off on the new shaft that was made. Coupling should have gone off to the machine shop with the shaft.

Depending on thru bolt size I can see fender shims, https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Body-Fen...99131398&psc=1, or Alignment shims working https://www.jegs.com/i/Moog/719/K892...hoCPw0QAvD_BwE. Not sure of that mounting system but can see them working on non-adjustable mounting systems. And yet another option depending on the setup https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...hoClfIQAvD_BwE.