Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom Update

Bathroom Update

Time to give the boat updated bathrooms.

I am wondering if there is a more modern design available for this tap set? It will not be available in Australia. Are there any tricks to removing the old? It has the plunger pole behind the spout for operating the plug.

Any supplier/product links greatly appreciated.

taps.JPG
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Bathroom Update

Scott, I replaced this in the VIP head yesterday. Other than the awkwardness of the location, it is a straightforward job. You will need flare to compression adapters for use with a modern faucet. The hard part is getting the old one loose from the sink; it’s all done by feel and you need extra long arms with extra elbows!
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

You re going to have to a local plumbing store and match the holes etc.

As I ve mentioned before I m a big fan of Sharkbite fittings. Easy to set, removable and they just work everytime. Work great in tight places where flaring may be tough to get right. Don’t know if you have them down under.

I don’t know what kind of counter top and cabinetry you have but getting rid of the old Formica and raising the vanity front wii better access isn’t hard and makes a big difference if you want up updated look
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If your refitting the bathroom pun in what you like and make the holes you need the faucet you like. Dont make the mistake of using items you dont like to save a half step
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If the old one has 1/2" pipe threads that the supply line attach to purchasing a basin wrench will make the job of removing the old one much easier

Thank you for the comments.

Here is what is planned in general, starting in the guest bathroom...

- Two pack white paint the existing yellow tinted fibreglass shower stall walls and floor.
    - Cut out small panel between vanity and shower to allow more light into bathroom. Install clear perspex window in its place.
    - Remove aluminium frosted glass shower screens. Install shower curtain and mini track to ceiling. (This will open up and brighten the entire bathroom.
    - Gloss white laminate paint the front facia of vanity. New modern stainless door handles.
    - Remove existing sliding mirror wall vanity mirrors and replace with swing doors/mirrors.
    - Keep existing sink, install new taps.
    - Either remove sink and install porcelain carrara marble top OR experiment with marble vinyl wrap over existing vanity top. I have seen this done and can not tell the difference. 6" high marble splashbacks around vanity walls.

This update is workable/easy and allows us to keep the original owners marine chart themed wall paper which we like. New modern toilets are already installed. The finished result will certainly work better and look fresher than how it looks now.

+++ With regards to tap and spout, is there a single modern replacement, or will it be individual components?
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

That looks like a 4" spread faucet which is common in the US. Measure the holes but they should be on 4" centers. You will probably want to go back with a one piece of the same spread or you may be putting plugs in one or more of the holes. They do make some individual faucets you can use on a 4" spread. It is mainly what look you are going for.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Bras...SIN=B001CUUTEY

There is nothing more that dates these yachts more than the heads/ bathrooms. The sinks and faucets sure make the difference .

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    There is nothing more that dates these yachts more than the heads/ bathrooms. The sinks and faucets sure make the difference .
    So true.

I went with a modern lever faucet for my galley sink, kept the SS sink. For the head sink, a Corian counter top with a modern Scandvik sink set into it. I found that home sinks were too big and I had to buy one froma marine supplier. But the heads on your boat are probably larger than on a 36C.

The basin wrench is worth its weight in platinum.

Thanks again for the input.

We have looked at oblong or round above vanity sinks but those available are too big or high for the depth available. I also agree about the bathrooms being the most dated areas of the older Hats. On the 61MY the corridor between the engines, bathroom and even twin cabin have little natural light.

I've now found a suitable modern single lever 4" centerset faucet set with plunger that will go well with the existing sinks, simplify installation and be better than whats there.

So thats good and I could not have found them without this forums help. Now gotta entice the American retailer to ship internationally.

+++

Need to now learn about basin wrenches.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 05-20-2019 at 05:13 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.