Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Galley Maid Windlass Breaker Issue

I used my 32 volt Galley Maid Windlass to pull anchor several times since I bought boat. In March we pulled 600' of rode with no issue. Went out a couple weeks ago and had about 750' of rode out. Started pulling in and the windlass started kicking breaker. I was running toward anchor to keep much load off the windlass but it still kept kicking. Went ahead and pulled manual and found anchor fouled. Tried pulling anchor NOT using windlass but cleat. Seas were steady 4-6' so I thought this may have something to do with windlass issue. Long story short the anchor shackle broke and came home without an anchor.

Put new anchor on at dock yesterday. Dropped straight down in the 6' deep water and tried using windlass to bring up. It is a Fortress anchor, I think 27# or something, not heavy. The windlass immediately tripped breaker as soon as it got a load on it. Looking for suggestions on what to check. I am thinking maybe a weak breaker. There is a panel in the anchor locker and the breaker there is what throws. Panel looks newer than original 1985 boat stuff. Other than breaker is there anything else I need to look in to?

Re: Galley Maid Windlass Breaker Issue

You’re right about a weak breaker. Switch it out, if that’s it it’s a cheap fix. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Where were you out at with that much rode?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Easy to replace the breaker but everytine I ve had a breaker trip whether AIr con or anything else it was never the breaker.

For windlasses I really like the Blue Sea Weather proof breakers, even though the anchor locker is dry there is still a lot of humidity in there

https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...rs/285-Series?
    Last edited by Pascal; 05-19-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Where were you out at with that much rode?
    Ewing Bank in Gulf of Mexico. Depth is 200' but seems most boats get by with a 3:1 scope. Haven't had many issues with anchor drag on several boats I have fished on out there with the 3:1. I will start with the breaker and see if thats the issue.

Update to this thread. I was in the process of pulling the breaker and found it was going to be a little bit of a chore the way the control box was mounted. Anyway got out the galley maid book and decided to see if there may be some maintenance issue. Only maintenance listed was to keep gear case full of oil. So I pulled the top plug and water came out. Got a bucket and pulled bottom plug. I was able to remove it with my fingers. Drained about a gallon of clear fresh water out and maybe a 1/8 cup of gear oil.

I had several partial cans of 80 to 90 W gear oil laying around left over from lower unit changes. I filled the windlass back up with this mixture of oil. Reading the manual it appears the clockwise rotation is the proper direction for lifting the anchor. The guys throwing the breaker were running the counter clockwise button. I ran the windlass several minutes clockwise with no breaker throw. Put in in the opposite direction and ran less than 10 turns and threw breaker. I had wife make UP and DOWN labels to put on the pulpit. Since we free fall the anchor to set probably won't use the down feature that much.

Anyway I drained the "new" oil out after running a few minutes. It was milky green but not as bad as I thought. Going to leave the plugs out and see if it dries. Anyway I am wondering if anyone knows how water could have gotten in there. I assume there is some kind of shaft seal that could be bad. Or being that the drain plug was loose I wonder if someone had issues before. Surely that much is not condensate although the boat was not used much for over 5 years until I bought her.

That has to be a tough gear box because I have hauled anchor 2 or 3 times prior to this issue using water as a gear oil.

Have no idea if yours has Belleville washers similar to Maxwell that allow slippage. They’ll trip without some give.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Worn seals. Pulled the motor a few days ago to change voltage and water was dripping out of the gear box. Decided to bite the bullet and pulled the whole windlass. Major job. Will decided whether to rebuild a new one this week after a full tear down
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Worn seals. Pulled the motor a few days ago to change voltage and water was dripping out of the gear box. Decided to bite the bullet and pulled the whole windlass. Major job. Will decided whether to rebuild a new one this week after a full tear down
    I may be doing the same. Im thinking of putting a bucket or something over it temporarily to keep the rain out until fishing season is over. I have a soft spot around the pulpit I need to repair so would be a good time to do both however with snapper season in full swing Im gonna have to make do until the fall.

Don't know what windlass model you have, but a little lubrication never hurt anything. Might need to change the gearbox oil, if equipped.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 05-29-2019 at 07:04 PM.