Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: What's Your Guess?

Batteries have to have a certain amount of charge in them for a regular charger setup to work,same with alternator.

This has happened to me 2X. Both from a yard, and not the same one. had mechanic trickle charge them to bring back. My charger will do it , but has to be reconfigured.

vhf, then depth for me too.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    Batteries have to have a certain amount of charge in them for a regular charger setup to work,same with alternator.

This has happened to me 2X. Both from a yard, and not the same one. had mechanic trickle charge them to bring back. My charger will do it , but has to be reconfigured.

vhf, then depth for me too.
    My 60A charger acts like it doesn't want to charge, so I've put a 2-6A to work on one battery at a time. They are brand new Interstates.

Funny thing about Interstate batteries. My OEM Mercedes battery lasted four years then quit all at once. Replaced it with 48 month Interstate; they have 24 mos. free replacement. Well, they've replaced it three times now. After 17-19 months, random things in my car go squirrelly. I've learned when the gremlins show up, I show up at the Interstate place.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 05-19-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

There are actually only a few real battery manufacturers in the USA. I think Johnson Controls is one, Trojan is another, Deka, East Penn. I'm not sure there is even an Interstate factory.

I have never had a problem with a Trojan battery, ever. Not the one time.

Worth every penny if you can em on the east coast
    Built in the USA and family owned

http://www.dynobattery.com/
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

I have had issues with those electronic controlled chargers working on a dead battery. As Carolinacoast said they have to have a certain voltage for the electronic charger to sense it was hooked up. My solution was to connect a manual charger to get the voltage up until the onboard computer one sensed the battery. The last time this happened was on my bay boat when it set unplugged over winter. The batteries were fairly new. Hopefully if the 6 amp chargers you connected are the old manual types they will put enough charge in them for the hi-tech one to work

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I have had issues with those electronic controlled chargers working on a dead battery. As Carolinacoast said they have to have a certain voltage for the electronic charger to sense it was hooked up. My solution was to connect a manual charger to get the voltage up until the onboard computer one sensed the battery. The last time this happened was on my bay boat when it set unplugged over winter. The batteries were fairly new. Hopefully if the 6 amp chargers you connected are the old manual types they will put enough charge in them for the hi-tech one to work
    Battery 1 of 2 at full charge and then load tested good. No. 2 charging overnight.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Issue resolved. It was a POPOSEC (prev. owner piece of s$%# elec. connection) that tripped both 30A bus breakers taking the charger off line. Apparently, I disturbed the connection when I replaced the batteries. ASLAN go for castoff.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC