Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's Your Guess?

Assume the following 12V components are powered by the same two, new, Grp 26 batteries, and either there is a bad cell(s) somewhere or the charger stopping charging. My money is on the charger. It lights up and the needle indicates charging.... Have to wait to check.

As the voltage steadily drops, which components would fail in what order, first to last?

VHF
    Depth Sounder
    Autopilot Drive
    Glendinning Synchronizer/Throttle Controls
    E120W Plotter
    E90W Plotter
    Autopilot Display
    Fluxgate Compass

Brought Aslan back from the yard today. Stuff started failing 30 mins. from the yard. Fortunately, I know the route. Nevertheless, it was a low tide trip.

So what's your guess?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: What's Your Guess?

Depends on specific setups and voltage drop to each item. Longer cables mean more resistance and more drop.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I would guess the AP drive and the Glendinning, since they draw the most amps of current.

Just guessing, but my VHF reboots when I start the generator (they are on the same 12v battery), so my guess is the VHF.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

They dropped in the order I listed-VHF first. I forgot the radar. It dropped after pilot drive. The pilot display and fluxgate stayed online until docked, 3-1/2 hours. No attempt at reducing load enabled any restarts. I’ve run for hours just on batteries in the past, so I was really surprised to get all those low battery warning 30 minutes underway. Now charging batteries with alternate charger for testing.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Just one bad cell starts sucking the life out of the others and causes overcharging of good cells. When the golf cart needs new batteries we know its coming and not to wait until too late.

Robert is your 12 volt electronics circuit the same one that starts your generator? If so wouldn't your generator's alternator keep the batteries charged enough to run the electronics? Im thinking your battery bank is bad if this is the case. At some point you should have been able to power off enough electronics to maintain a positive charge via the alternator.

Also being in the yard I always turn my Perko's off. I know several instances of people splashing on a Sunday or holiday and had their batteries go out. Had to pay a call out to open the store. The chargers didn't do their thing because there was no "shore power" and something had a draw on the battery. A weak battery will show its head when not on a charger but even a new one could go dead if there is something drawing on it without a charger connected

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Also being in the yard I always turn my Perko's off. I know several instances of people splashing on a Sunday or holiday and had their batteries go out. Had to pay a call out to open the store. The chargers didn't do their thing because there was no "shore power" and something had a draw on the battery. A weak battery will show its head when not on a charger but even a new one could go dead if there is something drawing on it without a charger connected
    Negatory to both. Separate bats on bridge for electrons. Gen has dedicated bat. Bats are new, just installed them three days before launch. Generator powers charger on bridge to supply power to those batteries.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

My charger on my generator battery went out a few weeks ago, and the symptom was a dead 12v battery. I replaced the charger and all is good again. The charger just went out silently and under no stress whatsoever. The only constant draw I know of is the VHF radio, which surprises me. The DSC light is always on, even when the radio is off. I plan on looking into that more.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL