Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

58' water tanks question

I have a 58' Yatchfish build in 1978. The water system diagram I have from Hatteras is dated 1971. It shows a tank under the bunk in the guest room and a tank under the cockpit. I have both of those tanks. The 53's had a belly water tank connected to the tank under the guest bunk. I wonder why Hatteras would not have continued to put that tank in? Do you think the later Yachtfish's might have had it?
    I have a leak in the system that is dumping water on top of the belly fuel tanks. Have looked at the usual suspects.
    Any suggestions?
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Re: 58' water tanks question

I thought the 53 MY and 58 YF had the same water tank set up. A centerline tank in the bikge with pick up tube in the master closet, then a tank under the guest berth plus a tank along the transom, both gravity feeding the lower tank.

The tank under the guest berth has a vent. Make sure the copper isn’t damaged and leaking

Is it leaking when the tanks are full, or only if over a set level? That will give you a hint on where the leak is.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Just pulled my blueprints, says 58 YF does not have the aft keel water tank but has a tank below the cockpit, John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

58 yf has a 75 gallon tank under the port bunk and a 135 gallon tank against the transom under the cockpit. the under bunk tank is gravity fed from the aft tank. the pump pulls from the under bunk tank..
    as for your leak,i would look at the gravity line or possibly the pump feed line as it crosses the center tank.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Your 58 may likely be the same as one I used to own. Water pump suction came out of the TOP of the tank under the midships bunk via a copper line

Tank had a large connection glassed into the BOTTOM of the tank on the aft end under the floor; this connected by thick rubber hose to the aft tank under the cockpit.

My tank was fiberglass original and over time the internal baffles had worked loose such that the tank expanded when fully topped off and this flexed the tank around the TOP and BOTTOM fittings.

I had a leak in the TOP where the suction tube fitting penetrated the tank that leaked when the tank got topped off but stopped once the tank level was down a bit.

Easy solution was to not fully fill the tank.

Later on the bottom fitting started leaking too. It looked like someone used MARINETEX epoxy to attach a bronze street elbow into the tank.

I eventually had to replace the tank under the bunk.

Also remember the copper suction lines under the floor board running across the top of the belly tanks into the engine room and water pump. Old copper gets brittle.

Good luck.