Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dockside power issue

I have been at the same marina for 30 years and in the same slip for fifteen years with no dockside ac issues. This year the marina installed new floating docks, water and power. My boat trips the gfi at the dock. Since there is no 50 amp recepta
    cle I use a splitter. The marina claims that new electrical codes cause many boats to cause this problem
    because the codes used when the boat was built different codes were in play. Their solution...my boat,
    my problem. They sent an electrician ( marine ) who changed a ground in the dc box on the bulkhead
    in the engine room and said a splitter would not work on the marina's system. $315 later he says there
    might still be a problem since he can't test it until a 50 amp receptacle is installed on the dock.
    Anyone else have experience with this?
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

Re: Dockside power issue

With a splitter are you using two 30 amp outlets to plug into? Anytime I try to use a 30 amp outlet even with a smart Y I end up tripping the stump breakers. These old girls like their power.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

The splitter has worked fine at this slip for the last 9 years.
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

1) Do you have an isolation transformer? If so, your boat is not the problem. It can't be because you don't even bring the neutral on board your boat.

2) I have been to a marina with a similar setup for part of a year and when I tried to use the smart Y it tripped their system. I ended up building my own reverse Y without the brain box and it worked just fine.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 05-13-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Are you plugged into 2 30 amp plugs? If not you’re only bringing in limited power. Is your splitter a 50/125 or a 50/125/250?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

2 30 amp cords to 30 amp dockside connected to a 50 amp splitter. Same
    boat and hookups for 9 years. Only difference is new service at the dock. The marina
    claims new codes require a change at the boat. Dozens of boats at the marina are having
    similar issues. The claim is that new electrical codes are causing the problem with many
    of the boats.
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

Sky: how did you put together the splitter w/o the brain ?
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

Quote Originally Posted by steve c View Post
    Sky: how did you put together the splitter w/o the brain ?
    I’m interested in hearing about that. Those damn things are so expensive. I’d like to make a spare.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Ok, against my better judgement, here goes. First, a safety warning: This does not contain the safety features of a smart Y. You need to plug each 30a into hots that are out of phase from each other. You will need to test the plugs at the pedestal with a mulitmeter to make sure you can get 250v out of the combination. If you don't understand electricity, please don't attempt this.

So, I cut off an old 50a/250 cord female plug end and two old 30a/125v cords male plug ends and combined them in a waterproof 4x4 plastic box with watertight cord grips. The neutrals were not used because I don't need them as I have an isolation transformer. One hot from each 30a cord was connected to each hot on the 50a cord. And the grounds were all tied together.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 05-13-2019 at 10:58 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Is it only when attached to the boat that there is an issue? If it's just when the 2 feeds are attached to the splitter, without the boat attached. My thought would be Hot and Neutral and or Ground might be wrong in one outlet just a thought.