Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Raritan Pursan EX Installation

Mine is mounted behind the salon panel stbd side aft of the cabinet with the sliding doors. We created an access panel which on my boat is next to the sofa that's along the aft bulkhead. The aft head needs to be able to pump up hill about 5 feet. Raritan "Elegance" (misnomer!) will. https://www.samsmarine.com/gallery/s...&imageuser=199
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by polpaul View Post
    On my last boat I installed a Purasan in the engine room and never had a problem. But the system I installed was Raritan's hold n treat controls, so I could control when the Purasan was activated. In this set up, my toilets all flushed into the holding tank. On demand, the hold n treat system activated a macerator pump that pumped from the holding tank to the Purasan, and so displaced treated effluent overboard. I usually activated it manually (rather than use the optional automated float sensor) and did so at anchor after the engine room had cooled off a bit. I highly recommend this set up. I've never been a fan of automatic activation, out of consideration for swimmers nearby.

And, yes. I'm sure you're correct that the temperature issue has to do with overheating the mini-macerators on the Purasan treatment unit.
    This is exactly the setup I wish I had. I have asked several Raritan installers about it and they advised against it because they said the system was not set up for this capacity (I have 155 gallons in 2 waste tanks). Would you mind either posting more details about how yours is set up, your experience with the install and day to day use? Thanks!
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Those installers are incorrect. The setup worked very well for me. If you PM me, I can see if I can scare up the old order specs. But in general terms I ordered the Hold 'n Treat controls, the Purasan unit itself, and a macerator pump. The install instructions, plus one or two emails to Raritan's excellent tech support made doing it myself quite easy. I installed it in about one day.

As for day to day usage, as I said the toilets would flush into the holding tank and once the level monitor showed about 1/4 tank I would manually activate the Purasan. My tank monitor was not connected to the Purasan so I had to hit the manual activate button each time I wanted to send another batch of waste to be treated, but a few day's worth of waste was treated in about four or five hits of the button. And each treatment cycle lasts about four minutes. Not a big deal. If you connect your level monitor to the Hold 'n Treat controls, you can set it to automatic, but I'm a freak about malfunctions and leaks and such. Personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    This is exactly the setup I wish I had. I have asked several Raritan installers about it and they advised against it because they said the system was not set up for this capacity (I have 155 gallons in 2 waste tanks). Would you mind either posting more details about how yours is set up, your experience with the install and day to day use? Thanks!

The 12v blowers are not effective, I agree. I installed a 120vac squirrel-cage blower in my engine room, which moves air out of the engine room. It is on a one-hour timer which I set after shutting the boat down. Not noisy and pretty effective.

I have never measured the engine room temp while running the boat but I'm sure after getting the engines fully warmed up it's pretty hot in there. Also, bigger boats with DD engines tend to keep the heat in the ERs longer, as the weight of hot iron in there is much more.

Hatteras did address these problems in some of the larger boats, back in the day. (whether they still do, I don't know) I remember reading a brochure for the early 72MY, the first big boat they built, and as I recall it had a lot of engine room ventilation as standard fitment- and that boat "only" had 12V-71s at what would be a modest power rating by today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by polpaul View Post
    Those installers are incorrect. The setup worked very well for me. If you PM me, I can see if I can scare up the old order specs. But in general terms I ordered the Hold 'n Treat controls, the Purasan unit itself, and a macerator pump. The install instructions, plus one or two emails to Raritan's excellent tech support made doing it myself quite easy. I installed it in about one day.

As for day to day usage, as I said the toilets would flush into the holding tank and once the level monitor showed about 1/4 tank I would manually activate the Purasan. My tank monitor was not connected to the Purasan so I had to hit the manual activate button each time I wanted to send another batch of waste to be treated, but a few day's worth of waste was treated in about four or five hits of the button. And each treatment cycle lasts about four minutes. Not a big deal. If you connect your level monitor to the Hold 'n Treat controls, you can set it to automatic, but I'm a freak about malfunctions and leaks and such. Personal preference.
    Thanks! I appreciate it. Sending PM now...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    Thanks! I appreciate it. Sending PM now...
    Jerry, did you install one? Where did you put it?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by rfontanet View Post
    I have 2 purasan ex on my 52 in the engine room since more than 2 year without any problems.
    What heads do you have your Purasan paired with?
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Pascal you do not want to blow air into a hot engine room to control the problem, you need to pull the air out and allow for intake air to replace the displaced exhaust. I talked with Delta T Systems and they made recommendations for my boat based on the engine room size, and the size and requirements of air intake for my main engines. It is amazing how much cold air is required to run my 12v71ti's and maintain the correct operating temperature in the engine rooms. Delta T has continuous duty blowers and all the equipment to set up things in the correct way. The number 1 thing that will increase wear and early failure rates on marine diesels is excess heat so proper ventilation system is a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    What heads do you have your Purasan paired with?
    I have Raritan Elegance.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA