Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Raritan Pursan EX Installation

Raritan says not to install where ambient temperatures get over 120*. That rules out the engine compartment in my 43DC and makes it very challenging to find a place for the unit. It seems that the issue is the life of the unit itself and not the effectiveness of the treatment. Jumping through hoops to mount it in the closet in the aft cabin behind the electrical panel down low.

Can anyone shed light on the temperature issue?
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Re: Raritan Pursan EX Installation

Are you sure your ER gets to 120? That’s really hot and less than ideal for a number of components. Some boats have alarms set at 120. Adequate ventilation (large blowers getting air in) are a solution
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

On my last boat I installed a Purasan in the engine room and never had a problem. But the system I installed was Raritan's hold n treat controls, so I could control when the Purasan was activated. In this set up, my toilets all flushed into the holding tank. On demand, the hold n treat system activated a macerator pump that pumped from the holding tank to the Purasan, and so displaced treated effluent overboard. I usually activated it manually (rather than use the optional automated float sensor) and did so at anchor after the engine room had cooled off a bit. I highly recommend this set up. I've never been a fan of automatic activation, out of consideration for swimmers nearby.

And, yes. I'm sure you're correct that the temperature issue has to do with overheating the mini-macerators on the Purasan treatment unit.

If you need some technical information try calling Raz Marine, they are always a huge help with anything Raritan related.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Are you sure your ER gets to 120? That’s really hot and less than ideal for a number of components. Some boats have alarms set at 120. Adequate ventilation (large blowers getting air in) are a solution
    With fans I've measured 135 F at forward ER bulkhead in Aslan--but it's dry heat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Are you guys sure that Purasan systems are legal where you are or do you only discharge when out at sea. I know they are not legal in California, but then what is in Ca.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    With fans I've measured 135 F at forward ER bulkhead in Aslan--but it's dry heat.
    What kind of fans? The small DC blowers don’t move enough air... nowadays builders install 120 or 240 v fans that blow air IN the ER. That’s what I m planning on doing on my boat
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Are you guys sure that Purasan systems are legal where you are or do you only discharge when out at sea. I know they are not legal in California, but then what is in Ca.
    According to the EPA website, there are only a handful of California NDZs mostly in harbors and bays.

https://www.epa.gov/vessels-marinas-...-ndzs-state#fl
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have 2 purasan ex on my 52 in the engine room since more than 2 year without any problems.

We've had a Purasan unit in the engine room for at least 8 years. I replaced the motor shaft seals last year but i'm not sure if that was temp or age related.