Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacing hot water heater 1988 38c

Just summarized my fresh water system and the bottom of my hot water heater seems to have rotted out. Best replacement and how do you get the thing out and in, doesn’t look like much room

2. Re: Replacing hot water heater 1988 38c

I replaced my Raritan with an Atlantic Marine 20gal and could not be happier. Heats up instantly so I don't have to wait around for hot water or worry about running hot water for too long, I just flick the switch when I want hot water and bingo.

I have room in my 55c but in my old Viking 40 I had to cut out the old water heater with a sawsall which was not an easy thing to do. I replaced the unit with a smaller version that fit easier but less capacity.

Re: Replacing hot water heater 1988 38c

I just did the job on my 43C (79). It was outboard of my port engine. I had to remove the inlet and outlet engine cooling water lines and the exhaust blanket and exhaust support rod. That allowed me to slide it aft, up over the athwartship stringer behind the motor bed, and across behind that engine to the main hatchway. It was a PITA, but not impossible. I put in the Raritan 12 gal (120V) - same as what came out (same problem - rotted bottom). Plenty of supply and the recovery is satisfactory. While in there, I built a bypass manifold to simplify the winterization process.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I just recently replaced the heater in my 1987 45C. Same as mentioned above, mine was outside of the Port motor. I took a few measurements and quickly realized removal would not be possible without cutting it up. The one I was removing was 12 gallons I think and based on my measurements I purchased a 6 gallon one from Westmarine, since it would fit without taking apart half of the engine.

Removal was "easier" than I expected, since the heater was so rusted that everything basically fell apart and the tank itself fit around the exhaust and out benind the engine. Installation of the new, smaller one was straight forward, only had to loosen an ER over head light and a water filter base that were in the way.

Good luck,

JCG

Anyone replace with an instant tankless system?

Not successfully. Look up the subject.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

This has been discussed here on several occasions. There are a lot of reasons why they are really unsuited to marine use. They aren't even very good on land, from all I've heard.

What DOES make sense is to fit a marine water heater with a coolant loop through it. You can plumb it into one of the mains, or the genset. Either one will have enough waste heat to keep it piping hot. And with water that hot, you don't need much of it for dishes or showering or whatever, so it lasts longer. Plus, since the heater's in the engine room, the ambient heat after running the boat keeps the water in the tank hot for longer. What you might call a win-win.

Hubbell makes a marine product anyone try it

Tankless?

I think they do commercial starting at 8kw 3 phase tankless .
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thinking of making an access batch under fridge for removal and reinstall. Anyone ever thought or done this