Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Replacement of AC unit

I installed new compressors in both of my units and they have been running great for over 5 years now. The vintage stuff is made better. Besides I have an obsession with fixing/refurbishing old stuff

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

This conversation of rebuild vs buy new is debated often here. I happen to like to rebuild old things so I replaced my compressors but I should point out that a key assessment before rebuilding a condensing unit is the condition of the heat exchanger. If the unit has had a lot of cleaning acid through the coils and/or there is evidence of deterioration of the sea water tube (as evidenced at the nipple end then rebuild is less attractive. The last thing you want is salt water in the refrigerant circuit. I have never cleaned my coils with anything but city water pressures and the tube ends were all fully intact.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

What is the procedure for cleaning the heat exchangers? My Hat still has the original units, which both amazes and scares me at the same time. They work very well, both cold and heat, and I would like to keep it that way.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Use as gentle a profess as possible. Run CLR, vineagar or diluted acid when it has signs of growth.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You clean them when the high side pressures start to climb. I use pulsed city water pressure. If you need more than that use a small water pump and a properly diluted acid cleaner recirculated per the instructions. Something tame like barnacle busters, etc. do not get aggressive with strong muriatic acid for instance.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's