Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacement of AC unit

I am in England and want to replace the condenser unit in the engine room of my 1981 53 Classic motor yacht.
    I know it is 230 volts but can anybody let me know the BTU figure so I can order it from here ready for when I return to the States
    Ian W

Re: Replacement of AC unit

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    I am in England and want to replace the condenser unit in the engine room of my 1981 53 Classic motor yacht.
    I know it is 230 volts but can anybody let me know the BTU figure so I can order it from here ready for when I return to the States
    Ian W
    I know this isn't what you asked, I don't have an answer for that.... but are you certain the entire condenser unit needs to be replaced? Maybe just the compressor needs to be replaced?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Which one do you need to replace? Typically the 53s has four condensers two 16k for the salon, one 9k for the master and another 9k for the forward and midship.

Keep in mind what you have mayb be different as they likely have been replaced over the years.

No labels on the units or compressors? You could also look for label in the air handler for the one you need to replace, it should match the condenser. Hopefully ...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

FWIW, if you are anywhere near Mystic, CT, I used the guys from Cool Boats out of Mystic and was very happy with them.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

The unit is 37 years old so I am going to replace it
    My 53 has 4 condenser units
    One for galley and fore cabin
    One for guest stateroom
    One for master stateroom and
    The broken one for the salon

If you have a single unit for the salon it has to be pretty big as originally these boats had 2 16k. I can’t inagine having less than 32k in the there although with your typical British weather and colder sea water you way get away with 24k
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    If you have a single unit for the salon it has to be pretty big as originally these boats had 2 16k. I can’t inagine having less than 32k in the there although with your typical British weather and colder sea water you way get away with 24k
    The later 53's had more BTU's. I think this is when they went to two 50a/250v inlets to power everything. I have as follows:

Galley and fwd stateroom: 16K
    Master Stateroom: 10K
    Mid stateroom: 6K (120v unit)
    Salon: 36K
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sams in the person of the super knowledgable Ed have told me it is 24K

I just went through exactly this scenario for my 1990 48C with a bad 24k compressor.
    My tech recommended to replace the entire condensing unit for $4657. plus shipping and install.
    After talking with Dometic, they gave me the model number on a replacement Bristol compressor for $1300
    including the new starter relays (3) that are needed. I removed the entire unit myself and took it to the
    AC shop where they did the compressor swap ($500). Had to change the line configuraiton to fit.
    I put the unit back in the boat and had him come out to clean the lines and charge. Dometic begged me to
    make sure the lines were thoroughly flushed after a compressor failure which is not simple as the evap
    is on the bridge. After another $1k for that, everything is prefect!. A lot cheaper than the full replacement,
    roughly saved 3k+. Also, plenty of ones on eBay that are 50hz...won't work in the US

Marine air List CSD24Z 230 volt 60 hz R22 refrigerant $6210.00 your cost $4657.00 new 2 year warranty

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    The unit is 37 years old so I am going to replace it
    The advice I got from an old boat ac guy when re-doing my hvac on the boat was this.... The old unit lasted 30 years. The new units are lucky to last 5, they are made from soda cans. Why in the hell would you want to replace something that lasted forever with something that you will be replacing very soon.

Not an exact quote, but pretty close lol.

So I replaced the compressor, start relay and all capacitors with quality components for < $500 plus $400 can of R22. The only thing that was not changed was the reversing valve, the accumulator and service valves. I also pressure tested the hex's

On a side note, my compressors weren't burnt out, just died a natural death lol. So no super flush cleaning was necessary in my situation.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL