Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1978 Hatteras 60C Major Refit

Good morning, I have a 1978 Hatteras 60C that is pretty much original with the exception of some electrical upgrades, updated gensets and some other minor updates. The starboard motor just went out and the motors look in very rough condition. No rebuilts documented. There are 12-71s. The owner wants to completely re-do the boat and start from stringers and up. I’ve advised him to put a set of re-man 12-V71s so we are not changing the dynamics of the boat. Plus they are good engines IMO. He’s not looking for a 25knot boat but sees this project as a 1/4 of the cost of a newer boat plus can customize it to his likings and everything will be new. My question is this a hull that’s worth doing this on? I’ve ran a couple of these era boats and am very impressed with there ride quality compared to newer hulls. The boat has good guts but is in dire need of a full makeover.

Re: 1978 Hatteras 60C Major Refit

It won't be the first time this has been done.
    I talked to a guy ten-ish years ago at a yard in Long Beach ca (Dencos) who was doing just that to a 60C, and I have heard about several others.
    All were having big Cats installed. Why go to all that time and expense and still have Detroits? It makes no sense.
    the guy I personally talked to had bought a new Viking to replace his 60C, but after a short time decided that he really liked the ride and feel of the 60C hull so much better than any new boat that he commisioned the re-do on the Hatt, he said he was keeping the Viking only until the job was completed.
    It wasn't about the money to him, he was quite wealthy, even by LA standards.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

My concern after talking to a few of the veteran captains was that adding more power to the boat caused the hatteras to keel walk and required extensive fabrication to the keel and hull to accommodate the power and speed. I would love to put C32s in there! But need some advice as to what it entails to the stringers, mounts and hull modifications. Everyone in Florida is about speed and light weight. My owner is about comfort and reliability. He’s risen in a new 65’ Viking and he looked over at me and said “I like my hatteras way better”

That vintage 60C is a tank. Whether you fish or are looking for a long range cruiser, it can do it all. I have cruised extensively with a friend that owns a 1978 that has been totally refurbished but still has the 12v71's.

I tend to agree with Dave that if the motors are coming out, a set of new Cats would be great in that boat. You don't need to go to C32's. Stay with power that keeps her in the low 20kt cruise range and you'll never have to worry about keel walk.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 04-28-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Cummins qsk19 is up to 800 hp and would run forever in thar applications. C18 cats would probably be a dream to work on in there. No need to go over 1000 hp unless you want a rocket. Then the c32 would be the one.

Putting back Detroit's makes no sense.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I agree on the big Cummins, or Cat C18s. The boat would be fast, but not hugely faster- probably as much for the lighter weight as the increased power. The service access would be amazing- the inline sixes are so much more compact than the V12 DDs.

The value of the boat would be enhanced as well. This might be one of the few repowers one could do and hope to get any significant fraction of their funds back out when they sold it- not all, but at least a decent chunk.

As to whether this boat is worth the trouble to do all this, oh, no question on that. That 60C is one of the best boats Hatteras ever built. And he already owns it.

Where would you have the work done? Your options are limited by having only one engine to move it with, so you don't have options like JB,,,
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 04-28-2019 at 11:54 AM.

A bunch of local fishing head boats swapped 1271s for Cummins qsc 19s and found them more efficient and reliable . Word is their converting the 3rd or 4th vessel this year.

I have a customer who decided to go with cat 7.1s instead of me with the cummins. Let's just say it's not going well after 4 months (2 longer than planned) and he Hope's to fire the engine in the next week or two.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

It's a 90,000 lb (wet) planing hull. You wouldn't want engines that are lighter, that would compromise the stability and ride - the whole reason to own one!
    Go C-32's or go home.

The hull absolutely LOVES 25 knots. With big C-32's you could cruise at that speed at "loafing" engine load.

Qsk19 and c18s come in around 4-5k lbs.

A c32 is probably 7k.

Isn't the 1271 around 4500-5000 lbs?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.