Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Safety gear

Safety gear

We are trying to equip our boat as safely as possible for going out into open water. The farthest offshore we will most likely ever be is halfway between Marco and Key West and maybe 30 miles offshore fishing. Just bought and registered a type 2 406 EPIRB. Next on the list is a life raft and a waterproof VHF.

Looking at the Revere 6 man coastal because it is light, stowable, and I can use it on both boats as needed. But is this too light duty to be used as real safety gear?

For VHF there are plenty of submersible units available around $200. Is DSC needed or useful since we have the EPIRB? Also is it better to jump up to a ACR survival radio?

I am thinking that with the coastal raft, EPIRB, and waterproof VHF we would be fairly well covered. Being that both boats are Hatteras's I don't really ever expect to be in a sinking condition. More afraid of fire than anything else. Once fiberglass starts burning it's not going to go out.

Re: Safety gear

We keep a ditch bag on the boat. Included in bag is: handheld vhf, handheld gps, spare batteries, signal flares ( pyro and electronic), signal mirror, sound devices (whistle and horn), first aid kit, knife, flashlight, rechargeable spotlight. That’s all I can remember now.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Best thing to have in this day and age, that close to shore might be a waterproof cell phone, and yes I am serious. The coast guard gets far more calls on cell phones than on VHF radios
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Your fixed VHF radio(s) will be your primary life saving equipment. The coast guard has those distances covered very well. We have two fixed radios, each on its own antenna. One is a backup. Our main VHF has DSC and AIS, but I would definitely get DSC and also register your radio.

Our primary VHF is a Standard Horizon GX2200, with GPS/AIS and our backup is an older ICOM VHF on the flybridge.

We also have an EPIRB and mounted it next to the helm.

IMG_0705.jpg

Like the other poster, we have a ditch bag with flare gun, horn, binoculars, etc. It has a standard horizon HX870 waterproof handheld VHF, also with GPS/AIS. We actually used that radio on the trip down from St Louis, until I installed new electronics once we got here. It worked very well. We also have an emergency VFH antenna that can connect to both the fixed radios and the handheld (with the adapter). We used the antenna on the way down as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-5.../dp/B00C4ZXD8A

Eventually, I probably will get a life raft, but for now we have the dinghy. It has its own GPS/Plotter and gear on board. In fact, even if I had a life raft, it would be backup to the dinghy, since the dinghy is so well equipped. I like the Revere and that is probably what I would get. I also like the idea of keeping it indoors.

We have a well stocked first aid bag. Buy just a bag and then stock it yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Primacare-KB-RO74-R-Trauma-Height-Medical/dp/B00F3HT95M

We have a fire extinguisher in every room (9 total). Two throw rings, and a life sling mounted on the aft deck. The reason for the life sling is to haul someone to the boat if needed.

Obviously, plenty of life vests. I think we have 15, and that was after throwing a few away that were too old.

Spare parts are important, such as spare impellers and spare fresh water pump stator/rotor. We keep spare oil and fuel filters on board. Pretty much a whole maintenance cycle worth. I fitted one of the dinette drawers to hold everything neatly.

But just to repeat, your fixed VHF radio is your lifeline at that distance.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

The coast guard (and just about everyone) does not recommend relying on a cell phone versus a VHF radio. Of course, have one with you, who doesn't. But a VHF radio will not only give your position, but also hail and communicate with all nearby craft, including the craft that is dispatched to assist or save you.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Cool Re: Safety gear

Ditch bag
    w/ Hank of line in ditch bag - just cuz
    cash & photo copy of ID's
    MRE's x4
    life straw
    Life raft
    Hydrostatic release for the tender
    Life raft 6 person
    fire extinguishers galore
    Combat life saver bag
    I also always bring one person along who swims more slowly than I do... in case of sharks.
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"

Whoever possible I stash some PFDs in the anchor locker ;if it has deck access, or in deck boxes are the bow. You need to be sure you can get to them and other safety gear in case of a fire in most boats if you get an ER fire the salon may be affected very quickly preventing you from getting at anything stored there
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

All good suggestions. I would suggest a Winslow raft. There was a comparison test a few years back in PBR or PS and those beat the rest of them.

All is being considered. Thank you for the replies. We leave on June 5th or 6th and will be doing so safely and with some piece of mind. Hoping everything we buy sits dormant and is never used.

Good stuff....

Sorry if I missed it.... Drinking Water.

I use a Pelican case for a ditch bag. Water proof and floats.

Poopy suits can be had for little $$ on eBay..... Google "survival immersion suit". They're not new, but they'll work.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay