Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Dockside power issue

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed338 View Post
    Is it only when attached to the boat that there is an issue? If it's just when the 2 feeds are attached to the splitter, without the boat attached. My thought would be Hot and Neutral and or Ground might be wrong in one outlet just a thought.
    Good point. Does the smart Y trip the GFI without having it connected to the boat? This should tell you if its just the Smart Y.

Also, if you don't have an isolation transformer, the problem could still be on your boat. Even a simple appliance can cause the fault like a micowave or refrigerator. Also a miswired plug. But if you are "isolated" then those won't matter.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I had the same issue with my 1982 Series 1 48 MY. My slip did not have a 50A, 250 outlet so I bought
    a "smart splitter " . Don't remember the cost but it was not cheap. Worked fine so I bought a second
    one as "insurance" and to have on the boat for when I traveled since I did not like to take in the dockside
    50A power cord. It was a PITA and heavy. A few years ago we had new power posts installed at my
    slip with a 50A 250 outlet.....problem arose.... Our marina has 208V coming in and my incoming power
    was just over 200V. I bought a power booster transformer and it brought it up fine. I still have some
    splitters hanging around including the 2nd "smart" splitter as well as others from when I sold the boat. I
    didn't seem to have the low voltage issue in other marinas. If anyone needs any of this stuff, please
    call me and we can discuss it. At 82 I don't plan on buying another boat unless modern medicine can
    make me young again so I want to just clear out all my inventory of spare stuff.

Walt
    cell 732-991-5665
    email waltpereira@aol.com

I second Walt's point. Verify the voltage and amps of the new dock system. Some marinas go cheap, and do not run 277/480 volt power to the step downs.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Here is an interesting article on this. https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/m...to-shore-power
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

The most common cause is N to G bonding in appliances, typically non marine aplliances like fridge, stove, washer dryer. On boats the N to G bonding is supposed to be done at the power source whether shore, genset or inverter.

When using rotary switches for generators, there shouldn’t be an issue since the N gets disconnected by the rotary. When using breakers with safety slides it should fine too as long as the it s using three poles breakers that disconnect the N too

Inverters also bond N and G but marine inverters only do it when the inverter is on. If you have a non marine inverter you will have a problem

Our marina is supposed to be rebuilt in the next year or so and I ve been wondering about this issue. Since I be redone the whole electrical I know I don’t have any N to G bonding except in some of the appliances. I wonder if new aplliances still bond N to G
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Have you tried plugging it into a neighbor's outlet to be sure that it is not just a problem isolated to yours?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

As I said previously, same slip,cords and equipment on the boat. No new owner additions or changes.
    No problem until new power at the marina which was installed under new codes that came into play
    in 2018. I tried various power posts and varied connections to address phasing issues. It seems the
    the new system is much more sensitive to electrical imbalances. A significant number of vessels at
    the marina are having similar issues. A questioin for Sky: is the isolation device standard on a Hatteras
    or is it an optional add-on?
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

Quote Originally Posted by steve c View Post
    As I said previously, same slip,cords and equipment on the boat. No new owner additions or changes.
    No problem until new power at the marina which was installed under new codes that came into play
    in 2018. I tried various power posts and varied connections to address phasing issues. It seems the
    the new system is much more sensitive to electrical imbalances. A significant number of vessels at
    the marina are having similar issues. A questioin for Sky: is the isolation device standard on a Hatteras
    or is it an optional add-on?
    It was standard on most of the boats over 50' after about 1975 or so. The smaller boats just got the polarization transformers that only correct reverse polarity and don't isolate. Check your wiring schematics. It will show on the sheet that has the inlets and switches for powering the ships services. If you have an isolation transformer, it will be in engine room. Its a big gray metal transformer box about 18x12x8" and it will be warm if you are plugged in.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We had a similar problem, equally frustrating, when our docks were rebuilt. First we found out that the new code for ground faults were at a higher spec and then (the source of our and our neighbors problem) was the neutrals at the inverter. Verify that all your neutrals are isolated. Ours werent and once fixed, the shore power issue went away.

also as a side note, to get a smart Y to work, the shore plugs have to wired out of phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff58y View Post
    We had a similar problem, equally frustrating, when our docks were rebuilt. First we found out that the new code for ground faults were at a higher spec and then (the source of our and our neighbors problem) was the neutrals at the inverter. Verify that all your neutrals are isolated. Ours werent and once fixed, the shore power issue went away.

also as a side note, to get a smart Y to work, the shore plugs have to wired out of phase.
    Was your inverter a marine inverter or a regular off the grid land model? Marine inverter only bond G to N when actually inverting.

As to the smart Y, that s the point. They will only kick in when the Hots are on opposing phases
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat