Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Old Exhaust Shower Head

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    In response to ScottinSydney, I initially thought I'd go with modifying hard shell risers on my Roamer, but then I opted to make my own. Here's the blog article showing a D'angelo hard shell and how it's made: https://1969chriscraftroamer46.com/2...xhaust-risers/

BTW, if anybody needs an 8" showerhead on a riser, I'm selling the one I disected. It's very well made and can be modified with commonly available SS tube and bends. TIG skills help, but most of the hard work is already done.
    Can you tell what gauge material that was used in the original riser?

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    Can you tell what gauge material that was used in the original riser?
    I'd have to put a caliper on it. I'll try and remember to do that over the weekend.

Has anybody tried to do any welding on one of the originals (since 1975 i mean)? If I could match the alloy with the appropriate filler rods I might just try to make repairs to the ones I have since I can be pretty handy with a TIG torch.

Still wouldn't mind finding an old one lying around somewhere that I could use as a template though.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Bayou Chico
    Pensacola, Florida

As I understand it, the problem isn't just the holes you can see...it's the thin spots that are going to become holes as soon as you put heat to it. Or, they'll become holes shortly after you reinstall it. Once a liquid-holding or pressure vessel develops leaks, it's pretty much done.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I'd have to put a caliper on it. I'll try and remember to do that over the weekend.
    Thank you. I've made the hot pipe/insulated exhaust before but, never the water jacketed risers before.

It looks like D'Angelo uses 12 gauge stainless for the hot sections.

Is it necessary that the water jacket extend all the way to the back of the turbo or would a design with a water collar at the distal end of the elbow just above the shower head be sufficient for exhaust cooling? The remainder of the elbow would be encased in a blanket or hard coating.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    -Alan
    Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 02-15-2020 at 02:05 PM.

1976 46' Convertible
    Bayou Chico
    Pensacola, Florida

Or perhaps not....

1976 46' Convertible
    Bayou Chico
    Pensacola, Florida

The reason dry stacks with wet showerheads are considered an upgrade is because water jackets eventually fail, taking out turbos and engines. I don't understand why anybody would go through the effort of making water jacketed risers when dry stacks are easier and better.

YMMV

That said, the link I posted a while back and other exhaust-related articles on my blog show how D'angelo does it. I used the same approach. Make it so water absolutely cannot get back into the engine, and you've done it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
    Is it necessary that the water jacket extend all the way to the back of the turbo or would a design with a water collar at the distal end of the elbow just above the shower head be sufficient for exhaust cooling? The remainder of the elbow would be encased in a blanket or hard coating.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    -Alan
    IMG_8829.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC