Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Old Exhaust Shower Head

Below is an exhaust mixer elbows off of my starboard engine that I removed several months ago while working on one of my turbos.
    20180717_123519.jpg

Obviously it has seen better days. I suspect the others are in about the same condition. At the time, I looked around for a set of replacements and was finally quoted $1,800 per each by a local marine exhaust fab shop. (Not sure if this is in-line with typical cost or not.) Well, not having an extra $8K laying around to spend on exhaust mixers at the time, I reluctantly went ahead and put it back on.

The outer water jacket shell doesn't really appear to be in bad shape and if I knew what alloy it was constructed of I would just cut out the inner exhaust pipe and tig weld in a new one. Otherwise, I will likely just fab a set of new stainless ones myself.

To that end, I was wondering if anyone might have an old exhaust elbow laying around that I might be able to cut up and use as a template. The Kay Industries part number etched into this one is SK2046-4 with a mfg date of 7/28/75. I'm located in LA (Lower Alabama) but venture regularly around the FL panhandle and south MS. I would also be willing to cover reasonable shipping cost. I am also open to other suggestions.

Thanks

-Alan
    Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 02-14-2020 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Reviving old thread
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Re: Old Exhaust Shower Head

See if Hailey Wilkerson of HDI marine (306) 824-0800 can give you a price. They will need engine make and model. They shipped me an odd generator elbow that was quoted to me from MFG of $1200. I paid $390 which included shipping. Original part was cast Iron, new is Cast Stainless Steel!
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

He has a custom exhaust part manufactured by Kay Industries so the part # probably isn't going to help.
    Might be able to come up with a generic type shower head piece with the same inlet and outlet size with similar angles and then modify or manipulate what they dump into if needed.
    We wiped out a 12v71 because it ingested water from a hole in a Kay elbow/riser, it was not leaking on the outside at all.
    The way to go now is to eliminate the outside water jacket and use the hard coated pipes instead.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

did you try marine exhaust of alabama?
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    did you try marine exhaust of alabama?
    Yes. MESA was where I got the quote mentioned above. Sounds like a stand-up guy and I'm sure he does excellent work. I was just exploring other options.

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou

Try them all, Marine Manifold in NY, Marine Exhaust Systems in Riviera Beach FL, DeAngelo in Ft Lauderdale, etc. Somebody told me there's an outfit in South Florida that's doing exhaust much cheaper than the rest, just can't remember the name., Maybe an offshoot of DeAngelo???

What engines do you have?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Hi Cricket,

For my education could you please elaborate on "The way to go now is to eliminate the outside water jacket and use the hard coated pipes instead."

Where is the water injection? What is a hard coated pipe? How does this all work?

Cheers.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Try them all, Marine Manifold in NY, Marine Exhaust Systems in Riviera Beach FL, DeAngelo in Ft Lauderdale, etc. Somebody told me there's an outfit in South Florida that's doing exhaust much cheaper than the rest, just can't remember the name., Maybe an offshoot of DeAngelo???

What engines do you have?
    I have 8V71TIs.

I will check with the others you mentioned. Thanks.

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou

In response to ScottinSydney, I initially thought I'd go with modifying hard shell risers on my Roamer, but then I opted to make my own. Here's the blog article showing a D'angelo hard shell and how it's made: https://1969chriscraftroamer46.com/2...xhaust-risers/

BTW, if anybody needs an 8" showerhead on a riser, I'm selling the one I disected. It's very well made and can be modified with commonly available SS tube and bends. TIG skills help, but most of the hard work is already done.

The water is injected directly into the showerhead instead of water incasing the entire part, so it's all downstream towards the outlet. The hard coat insulates the part, the main advantage is that the water is kept away from the joint next to the turbo/manifold. If a crack occurs there water can get into the engine and then it goes boom. The hard coat is an upgrade from the removable heat blankets which can collect oil and also disintegrate over time.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns