Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: boat purchase

Re: boat purchase

Congrats and good luck with survey, I hope nothing major(deal breaker) is found.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: boat purchase

Quote Originally Posted by mderlick View Post
    hello all

I just signed a contract on a 53 MY in Mobile Alabama.

Can anyone recommend a good surveyor and mechanic in the area ? I would appreciate some info regarding this, since I am 1500 mi. away, in Canada.

On another note, does anyone know how long a foreign flagged vessel can stay in US waters ?

is there any way around the cruising permit limitations ? I plan to use the boat primarily as a liveaboard.

regards to all

martin
    Some questions are best not asked on a public forum. For example....you indicate the vessel you are purchasing will be used as a " liveaboard". As a Canadian, you cannot "reside" in the US without first obtaining status. If you take up residence somewhere other than in Canada, you become a non-resident Canadian and immediately subject to capital gains taxes. Etc. Etc.
    I presume your intention is to register your vessel under the Canada Shipping Act (federal). The vessel is treated differently than the owner. The vessel might enter into US waters ( with a customs decal) and remain indefinitely but the owner is subject to US immigration laws. Nothing is simple especially when you ask questions and seek accurate opinions in response.