Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: boat purchase

boat purchase

hello all

I just signed a contract on a 53 MY in Mobile Alabama.

Can anyone recommend a good surveyor and mechanic in the area ? I would appreciate some info regarding this, since I am 1500 mi. away, in Canada.

On another note, does anyone know how long a foreign flagged vessel can stay in US waters ?

is there any way around the cruising permit limitations ? I plan to use the boat primarily as a liveaboard.

regards to all

martin

Re: boat purchase

Live aboard where?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Can’t answer your questions but wanted to congratulate you on your possible purchase. Add photos what 6ou complete the process. The fun is about to begin.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Cpngrats and I ho[pe the surveys go well.

As to your questions, you might consult with Seaeric on this forum. He has done a number of international yacht deals and might be able to steer you to an authoritative source of information that you need.

Yep, congratulations on purchasing a great model.

You being from Canada and all reminds me of running into two ICE agents on my dock last year. They were all suited up in their tactical gear, so I was curious what was going on in my normally quiet marina in SOUTH CAROLINA. They said they were looking for Canadians who may not have registered when they entered the US. I told them I thought they'd have better luck up in Maine or New York or maybe even New Jersey. That look sorta reminded me of one of my ex's when I was informed I wasn't as funny as I thought I was.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Arthur Terry & Co. did mine. They are out of New Orleans but think they cover Alabama

https://yachtsurveying.com/home

I bought a used 39 Hatt years ago that was flagged in Canada. She was kept in Cabo for a long time by her prior owner, then brought to San Diego where I bought her. I started re-flagging her in the US right away and never gave thought to getting her out of the US. She had an old DOC # from her original owner, so she re-claimed that number and it was pretty easy. just had a traveling letter stating that she was being US documented and felt well covered.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

dog river marina and middleton marine can do most anything on your boat. good people and great work. did you buy jimmy's girl?
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    dog river marina and middleton marine can do most anything on your boat. good people and great work. did you buy jimmy's girl?
    Couldn't agree more on Middleton for mechanical work.
    Not pleased with the pricing of work at Dog River. Way too high.
    I do dock my 37 Hat there and am satisfied with slip and cost and staff are great.
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post

Yes, I did. However, sale is predicated on survey, mechanic,m etc. The usual stuff.

md