Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Beware of this great economy?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I wonder how many people on this forum have children that are millennials. (sp?) And I wonder how many would describe their own millennial children in the disparaging terms commonly used?

Maybe that's other peoples' children. Their children are not typical millennials.
    I wrote a nice long post bragging on my kids, but I deleted it because it seemed a little self-serving.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    Krush, I enjoy your input and in no way trying to start something but are you implying that millennials are victims of the economy created by boomers?
    I wouldn't use the word victim. I'm just saying, we shouldn't be too surprised at the ideology that comes from some millennials that so many find revolting if you analyze what it's been like for them.

The middle class has purchasing power has shrunk greatly, and the wealth has trickled to the top % to obscene levels. I think it makes the robber barons look downright kind. I'm not saying "it's not fair", but I'm am saying isn't it a little strange when you look at the concentration of wealth in % figures. Of course, there is also fiat currency and modern monetary policy to make it more awesome.

This article sums it up well: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...real-inflation
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Give everybody $1,000 a month, and watch what happens to prices. Just keep adding zeros to the cost of a loaf of bread.

Government schools have become a disaster. They're taxpayer-funded ideological indoctrination centers for the hard left. The government (unconstitutionally) taking over the college loan industry under the Hope & Change president opened the Treasury to the highest echelon of those indoctrination centers. With an unlimited supply of funding, prices did what prices always do in that situation. If the government got out of education entirely, the true market value of all of those useless SJW degrees would quickly become apparent.

It's as if a lot of people never took basic econ.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Give everybody $1,000 a month, and watch what happens to prices. Just keep adding zeros to the cost of a loaf of bread.

Government schools have become a disaster. They're taxpayer-funded ideological indoctrination centers for the hard left. The government (unconstitutionally) taking over the college loan industry under the Hope & Change president opened the Treasury to the highest echelon of those indoctrination centers. With an unlimited supply of funding, prices did what prices always do in that situation. If the government got out of education entirely, the true market value of all of those useless SJW degrees would quickly become apparent.

It's as if a lot of people never took basic econ.
    Was college really that cheap prior to 2000? I just don’t recall it being that way, but I could be wrong.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

It a never been cheap but costs have been increasing at a higher rate than inflation. You know you got to pay all these high speaking fees to people like the clintons, set up safe spaces for snowflakes, build transgender bathrooms and increasingly high salaries to professors who have never set foot in the real world. That cost money.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I went back for a different degree in 2000, worked a 30hr/week part-time job, took 18~22 credit hours per term, including summer, and graduated in 2003. Being a white, straight, male and achieving a GPA in the top 10% meant I was ineligible for any grants or scholarships outside of the Pell grant that was available to anybody with a C average. I paid off my student loans in 1.5 years. I think I owed ~$8,000 when I graduated. And that was with a very useful STEM degree that's served me well.

Even back then, I recall having to take a 300-level class on women's literature. It was part of the liberal arts diversity requirement to graduate. Apparently, you're not a well-rounded biologist unless you've read Jane Austin, who I found to be particularly tedious. Word has it the diversity requirements for graduation are far worse these days at many universities.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I wouldn't use the word victim. I'm just saying, we shouldn't be too surprised at the ideology that comes from some millennials that so many find revolting if you analyze what it's been like for them.

The middle class has purchasing power has shrunk greatly, and the wealth has trickled to the top % to obscene levels. I think it makes the robber barons look downright kind. I'm not saying "it's not fair", but I'm am saying isn't it a little strange when you look at the concentration of wealth in % figures. Of course, there is also fiat currency and modern monetary policy to make it more awesome.

This article sums it up well: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...real-inflation
    I briefly scanned the zero hedge article. The article mentions work arounds such as cleaning your own home, cutting your own grass, things of that nature. I don’t want to get into my financial situation but I could comfortably afford to have someone clean my office and my home and cut my homes grass. I do those things myself. Full disclosure my wife mostly cleans the house. I drive a 2011 F350 service body truck. My wife drives a 16 Ford Explorer. My point is this is how a lot of Boomers raised by the depression generation are living. So; do millennials have expectations that they shouldn’t have to do those things? Do you know how many people today cant fix their own toilet? We use to own apartments and a male tenant called about the bee infestation on his porch. I came prepared for a show down. It was a wasp nest that I took care of with a broom. To me that situation personifies a lot of Americans these days. The want to hit an app on an iPad and have someone instantly solve their problem. That cost money. I believe there is now a business picking up dog excrement in people’s yards. I have seen some working class people not only make money but build wealth doing what others don’t want to do. I have worked for a family business literally since I was 9 years old, spring break i came home and worked. The day after I graduated college I drove home and went to work. I have been working 6 days a week since. As I have aged I have slowed on the Saturdays and now go into the office for 3-4 hours. My father told me you won’t get ahead working 40 hours a week. So if the next generation expects to have what some of us have you are going to have to work more than 40 hours a week. Last thought, I believe I heard this right. If one makes $130,000/year he/she is in the top 10% of income earners. So if one makes 150,000 he or she would most likely define themselves as middle class. Statistics say they are at a minimum upper middle class.

When I started Bayport Yachts 30 years ago, I had young families with children coming in and buying boats. Those days are over. My average customer now is around 70 years of age. Thank God they still want to buy 40+ ft power boats because that's what I mostly sell. I never went to college except for a few business courses here and there. I have still managed to scratch out a nice standard of living. I agree with the previous poster - If you think business hours are between 9 and 5 you are correct. But to be successful that would be 5AM and 9PM hours not the other way around.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

9. Re: Beware of this great economy?

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    The government (unconstitutionally) taking over the college loan industry under the Hope & Change president opened the Treasury to the highest echelon of those indoctrination centers. With an unlimited supply of funding, prices did what prices always do in that situation.
    I 100% agree. College is not the best choice for everyone, yet most young adults are told "you have to get a degree in order to succeed today".
    Guaranteed college loans are made readily available, and if the student fails and defaults, you and I the taxpayers are on the hook.
    The Universities still get paid, tuition continues to rise, and the circle continues.

If the universities were made responsible for even a portion of these defaulted loans, things would fall in line quickly.
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

Going back to the original post, the average boat size is increasing at an amazing pace. A few years back, a 100 footer was huge. Nowadays it s nothing. Over the last 2 months we spent 6 weeks in the Exumas, spring break being the busy season there. I d say 50% of motoryachts are now over 100’ and plenty of 150 footers. And up. Amazing.

Many of these boats are on the charter market at rates over $100k a week. Plus expenses. Plus tips.

And they re pretty busy.... not just tax write off that sit at the dock
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat