Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: 1978 Hatteras 60C Major Refit

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    Why spend all that time, money, and effort on a major re-do of the boat and still have slow, noisy, antique engines?
    Gutting the hull and replacing all systems as well as interior structure/cabinets/finishes/electrical/electronics/plumbing/appliances/furniture is going to run over a megabuck even with southeast yard rates.
    Why spend all that money and headache/time when a newer Hatteras can be bought with all the features already installed (newer interior, modern engines, better equipment, etc).
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

For the same reason others have gone down the same path - they like the way the hull rides. Newer boats are much lighter while faster, they don't ride the same.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    The issue wasn't major, it was insufficient tabbing of the hull to chain locker bulkhead and the floor in the bow stateroom on the port side. They were "fixed" in a few hours by adding tabbing in the chain locker and under the floor.
    I think it was just the first few hulls that were affected, the one boat that actually started to come apart was in charter service in Alaska and was beaten like a prisoner every day by a savage captain. When mistreated by running into ten foot seas on plane all day every day the bow section of the hull flexed just enough to break the tabbing. Later hulls have a massive fiberglass bridge like bulkhead under the floor in the bow stateroom and the problem was cured forever. Mine has this and she's a '79 hull #331
    If I remember right it was Roger Wetherington that told me this story, but it's been 14 years......
    I never heard that story. I delivered Bob Risingers Miss Anthracite back to the factory in mid 79 for the repairs. Yes the problem was the interior creaking and cracking tabs where it was secured to the hull but also a aluminum channel beam structure was added midship in the Er that was tied into and sistered into the hull sides.to stop flexing mid ship. The repairs took six months and much of the interior was gutted and replaced. Ray Meyers told me that when they started making these wider beam boats they didn’t anticipate the amount of flexing midships that they got.
    The 60 has been a great well proven boat but like anything else you start modifying something that wasn’t designed for it there will most likely be issues that are unforeseen.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Back in the day with Capt Bill Lewis on the Miss Anthracite.
    Funny story from Capt Bill. When the 60c came out it was a huge leap for sport fishing boats compared to everything else at that time.
    The owner was changing the name from Miss Anthracite because they didn't want big money associated with coal.
    Capt Bill told us, "You could call this boat the Miss Shit and they still would know you're rich".

I wasn't aware of any potential issues with the early 60c, what I do know these old hulls do have some limits which is why I suggested the C18's, enough power to get some reasonable performance gains without worrying about what could happen to the hull.
    The engines will sit SO perfect in the ER, just make sure to have at least a 2:1 gear reduction.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Back in the day with Capt Bill Lewis on the Miss Anthracite.
    Funny story from Capt Bill. When the 60c came out it was a huge leap for sport fishing boats compared to everything else at that time.
    The owner was changing the name from Miss Anthracite because they didn't want big money associated with coal.
    Capt Bill told us, "You could call this boat the Miss Shit and they still would know you're rich".

I wasn't aware of any potential issues with the early 60c, what I do know these old hulls do have some limits which is why I suggested the C18's, enough power to get some reasonable performance gains without worrying about what could happen to the hull.
    The engines will sit SO perfect in the ER, just make sure to have at least a 2:1 gear reduction.
    Lol yeah they don’t make them like Capt Bill anymore. I mated for Bill when I was a kid on both the Lobster House and the Oceanic. Bill taught me a bunch of stuff including cursing and exaggerating with Bill everything was 13million. He did teach me one thing about running charters you don’t need to catch people a bunch of fish you just need to keep them entertained and old Bill sure could do that. Story after story they got better and better every time I heard them.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Thank you everyone for your comments and replies. The owner has decided he wants to sell the boat. So if you know of anyone that is interested in a 1978 60C Enclosed Hatteras, call me at 561-313-7384. Offers encouaged. Boat is located in Boca Raton, FL.

Get some photos up, and a listing with price etc. You might well find a buyer here. We have a For Sale section just for this.